Anybody ever take Levaquin?

Recently I was diagonosed with Colitis, an infection in the colon. The doctor prescribed me some antibotics and one of them was Levaquin. On day five of taking the Levaquin, I felt my throat closing up and my heart racing. I almost called an ambulance, I felt like I was going into cardiac arrest or something. I... show more Recently I was diagonosed with Colitis, an infection in the colon. The doctor prescribed me some antibotics and one of them was Levaquin. On day five of taking the Levaquin, I felt my throat closing up and my heart racing. I almost called an ambulance, I felt like I was going into cardiac arrest or something. I called and the doctor said to stop taking the Levaquin; that I was allergic to it. Well, I did more research on this drug and found it to be banned in many countries (I'm from the US) and that people could have deadly allergic reactions to it. I just can't fathom why I was put on this drug, especially since I'm young (25) and rarely ever sick. Has anybody else had a bad reaction from this antibiotic?
Update: I was always under the impression that doctors start with the lowest dose possible to treat a problem, not the highest. I think in this case it was quite obvious that I didn't require the highest does, as it cleared it up within two days.