He said he wants to build our relationship.. by getting closer to GOD-> No sex before marriage resisting urges?

So... hear me out if you can. I'm 23 my boyfriend is 26. We have been together for a few months. He comes from a very religious family. So he is always being "preached" too and lectured. His uncle is also the pastor of the church he attends. The relationship has been generally good... but I felt... show more So... hear me out if you can.
I'm 23 my boyfriend is 26. We have been together for a few months.
He comes from a very religious family. So he is always being "preached" too and lectured. His uncle is also the pastor of the church he attends.

The relationship has been generally good... but I felt like there was something missing. So I told him about this and one thing sort of lead to another and we began to question the relationship.
His solution to make us stronger and closer is to build our relationship with God...

I come from a somewhat religious background. Went to Catholic school... go to Church once in a while...but I'm open-minded and it does not consume me. It is a part of me.. it is not my whole being.
Anyways, we are both virgins. When we are together... my boyfriend generally is more aggressive when it comes to sexually... SO when he throws this at me... that he thinks no sex/ or really anything before marriage will make us stronger--- it just didn't make sense.

We talked about having sex before... bought condom and etc but it just didn't go as planned and he got cold feet because a lot of things were going through his head.

I'm ok with waiting and growing as a couple...
but even though I am a virgin I'm a really sexual person and I feel at 23 I want to have a normal sex-life... so I'm not sure how to look at this.
What if I were to spend all this time waiting with him... and him end up not even being the one I marry. There are always two sides... people say sex helps the relationship grow and others say it's better if you wait.

I'm willing to respect his decisions and suggestions... just any advice on this issue would be cool.