My 10 year old wets the bed every night "on purpose"?

My daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when she was 2. We had a terrible time with it when she was 2 - 4 years but now it is being managed well with proper meds. She was considerably delayed in potty training due to her illness. However, by the time she was almost six, indications were that she had... show more My daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when she was 2. We had a terrible time with it when she was 2 - 4 years but now it is being managed well with proper meds. She was considerably delayed in potty training due to her illness. However, by the time she was almost six, indications were that she had control even though she was still wetting the bed at night. At that time we decided to give her a test and told her if she stayed dry over the summer we would get her ears pierced (something she had been wanting) for her birthday in August. She responded well and had no bedwetting accidents for nearly 3 months. We got her ears pierced. She was so proud of herself and we thought that was the end of it. Sadly, no.

I can not begin to share the lengthy details of the bed wetting saga we have had since then. She stops for weeks, even months and then starts again for no apparent reason. She may respond to rewards for a while but then goes back to it. In the past year it has increasingly grown worse.

The past 5 - 6 months I have decided to really crack down on this behavior as it is very clear that she has control. Also, she has admitted on several occasions that she "just doesn't want to get out of bed" and she "likes peeing herself". Now she is wetting the bed nearly every night. She has hidden soiled underwear/pajama bottoms many times or simply continues to wear them saying they are "dry". I have had to resort to making sure she is changing clothes and having her bring her undergarments to me in the AM to see is she wet them in the night. Medically she checks out. I even feared sexual abuse and the Doc checked her for physical signs...nothing. (Thank God.) I also talked to her about anyone "touching her" and she said no one had ever done that.

We believe in paddling. We do this only when there is direct disobedience and the child knows exactly what he/she has done and how many swats with the paddle are going to take place. I hesitated for a long time paddling her for this since it is bed wetting but clearly she is doing this on purpose and I can no longer justify not punishing this. So in the last few months we have been paddling (2 swats each AM she has wet the bed). Very little change. In the last couple of weeks... gradually we have removed almost every priviledge she has. Basically she has no life right now. She has very limited activity, reading books and things. That's it.

Oh and another thing... in the last year, she has developed a lying habit that is unreal. She will lie about anything. Even when it's not avoiding a discipline. I am sure she lies several times a day but can not always prove it. She has also had "fits" when she is about to be paddled. These are falling on the floor fits. It was shocking to see a 10 year old behave like that. However, those seem to have subsided since we added extra paddling whenever she did that.

I will admit that her illness may have caused us to "spoil" her to a certain degree when she was younger although we tried not to. I have considered that continued wetting may be her way of showing defiance since we have really cracked down on some of her behavior. Do you think that it is possible she is "protest peeing" so to speak, since it has increased in the last 5 months or so and still continues in spite of all this punishment?

BTW she is the youngest of my 5 children. I have worked with troubled kids in the past. Worked at a daycare, a teen home and with youth ministry. So I am familiar with kids. However, this time I am at a loss. Help.
Update: For those who don't think she is doing this "on purpose"... why would she tell me she just "doesn't want to get up to go to the bathroom" and she "likes it"?
Update 2: Thanks everyone for your answers - even those who now think me a child abuser (knew I was gonna get some of that). There is a vast difference between beating a child and an appropriate paddle that is explained to the child with forgiveness shown to her afterwards. We have decided that since she seems to... show more Thanks everyone for your answers - even those who now think me a child abuser (knew I was gonna get some of that). There is a vast difference between beating a child and an appropriate paddle that is explained to the child with forgiveness shown to her afterwards.

We have decided that since she seems to respond to rewards we are going to give her and her brother an allowance of $2 a day every day they "do what is right" and "tell the truth". For her that includes getting up to use the restroom at night (staying dry). She was dry last night, so she got 2 bucks. But this was just the first day so we will see how this goes. Maybe if she sees a potential reward every day this will work. I appreciate the ADHD answer but did not pick it as "best answer" due to the electric blanket comment. I do not agree with that approach. How can I lie to her when I am constantly telling her how bad lying is?
Update 3: For three days in a row now she has not wet the bed, She wants the allowance of $2 a day instead. Proof positive that this is in her control. We will continue to offer this daily reward for her "acting like a big girl" and going to the bathroom when she should. Some of you judge me because you wrongly... show more For three days in a row now she has not wet the bed, She wants the allowance of $2 a day instead. Proof positive that this is in her control. We will continue to offer this daily reward for her "acting like a big girl" and going to the bathroom when she should. Some of you judge me because you wrongly assume that a child would not wet the bed "on purpose". I am telling you I know her and she does. I have talked with her and she has told me many times that she just doesn't want to get up to go to the bathroom. Also, she has stopped wetting many times at will when it benefits her. (Sleeping at some ones elses house, getting a reward, etc.). And apparently has decided that the $2 a day is worth the inconvenience of getting up in the night to use the toilet. OK by me... definately worth it.