Which one is the main character!?

This summer i had to read A Prayer For Owen Meany. For my honors class. I'm doing the essay questions now... But i'm not sure if i should put Owen or John as the main character!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

John Wheelwright - Owen Meany's best friend, the narrator of the novel. The son of Tabby Wheelwright and Rev. Louis Merrill (though he does not know who his father is until the end of the novel), John is raised by the aristocratic Wheelwright family in Gravesend, New Hampshire. As a young man he is led to religious faith by the life of his best friend Owen Meany, and in 1987, he decides to write down Owen's story and to chronicle the awakening of his own belief in God. Though he has an active religious life, John is also extremely bitter and furiously angry about his experience, and frequently launches into lengthy diatribes against the Reagan administration. As a middle-aged man, he remains a virgin, "neutered," he says, by the things that have happened to him. In the novel, John serves both as a fixed perspective and as a contrast to the character of Owen Meany, a passive foil for Owen's charismatic dynamism.

Owen Meany - John's best friend, a dwarf with weirdly luminous skin and a high-pitched, nasal voice represented in the novel in all capital letters. Owen's father runs a granite quarry; some of Owen's eccentricities may be due to the inhalation of granite dust at an early age. Despite his tiny size, Owen is a powerful personality, often dominating situations and telling adults what to do even when he is a young child. Owen possesses a powerful and personal religious faith, believing himself to be God's instrument on Earth; he also believes that everything that happens is fated, and that his own dreams are prophecies of his future purpose in life. (As it turns out at the end of the novel, he is right.) When Owen and John are eleven, Owen accidentally kills John's mother when a foul ball he hits at a Little League game breaks her neck. Throughout the novel, Owen represents the relationship between the earthly and the spiritual, as well as the avocation of faith.

SO I THINK JOHN WHEELWRIGHT AND OWEN MEANY ARE THE MAIN CHARACTERS.

Source(s): A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY BOOK AND SPARK NOTES.COM
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.