who owns the Internal Revenue Service?

• garyg7
    Best Answer

The Internal Revenue Service is part of the United States Treasury Department. As a governmental unit, it isn't owned by anybody. (Don't believe the garbage out there saying that the Catholic Church or the Jews, or any other population owns any part of our government. Those are the rantings of people who played football without a helmet or some other problem.

I hope this helps.

Gary

• Mathew

The IRS is a branch of the Treasury Department of the US Government. Units of government are not owned in the sense that private companies are owned. You can make an argument that in a democracy the people own the assets of the government. But I would not suggest that you go down and take your share of an aircraft carrier or the White House.

• wg0z

The people of the United States.

The Treasury Department.

The citizens of the United States of America, but the US government thinks they own it.

• Judy

It's a part of the US Treasury Department.

Are you serious? It is a branch of the Federal government. Just when I thought I had seen it all on YA!

Nobody "owns" it. It's a government agency.

• tro

like any and all federal property and agencies, the taxpayers