promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Correct name for a U shaped Nail/staple?

I was wondering what the correct name for a U shaped Nail is, we use it to tack fences to posts and stuff, is it just "u shaped nail" or is there a more correct term? I was wondering because my grandmother calls it a "stifle" which means to suffocate i tried looking it up and i cant figure out why she would call it that unless its polish for staple or nail because her father was pure right out of Poland and grew up on the farm working with him.So i thought maybe she picked it up from him. Weird question i know but if anyone has a clue as to why she would call it that(and the correct name) thank you much.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Casey
    Lv 6
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Fence or Fencing Staple.

It's tough to figure out where people get some things. I worked for 6 years in the hardware department at Home Depot and would often be asked for stuff I'd never heard of, but could usually find if they described it. By the way, any hardware store or home center should have at least two sizes of fencing staples, which are usually used to attach wire fencing material to a wooden post. Now most professionals use pneumatic guns because they're a lot faster and safer.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • deason
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

U Shaped Nails

• 3 years ago

U-shaped round wire nails with two points to hold lengths of wire in position are called staples.

• Jingo
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Dad always called them a steeple. To buy them in the store look for fencing staples.

Check step 17 here http://www.tartergate.com/downloads/WFS_instructio...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Probably, but I am not 100% on it

• 4 years ago

Whenever I post a question, even if its the easiest one, nobody can give me a good informed answer on this website. Wtf happened to people who actually make the effort to answer??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.