? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

swedish pronunciation: how do you pronounce "är" and "jag"?

I have been working on my pronunciation of Swedish for the past 6 months and the very common word "är" is still frustrating me because just when I believe it is pronounced like the english word "are", I hear it somewhere else being pronounced like the english word "air". I am really confused on this. Also, I thought the "g" in the word "jag" was silent, but I have heard it actually being pronounced. Is that just to add emphasis like when people pronounce the "ch" in "och" to add emphasis? Any help greatly appreciated :)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, är is pronounce most closely as 'air.' Jag will pronounce as 'jag (I),' but in everyday speaking it is shortened to ja, just as spelling of ja (yes). Also, och is och but it is also shortened in everyday language to just 'o.' Jo, pronounced you, (also for yes) is used to answer negative question.

• 9 years ago

Heyy, I am Swedish, and the word är is pronounced more like air, butit has like a combination of are and air, but more like air, and Jag you do pronounce the G, and in the word Och you do pronounce the Ch.

• varg
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Often the last g in jag is silent ( yah )

Jag är = yah air but yahg air is also OK and maybe more correct

There is no difference in emphasis it is more that yah is easier to say even if it is the same pronounciation at ja = yes

Source(s): me
  • 3 years ago

Swedish Pronounciation

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It's pronounced like "air". The other one is pronounced "yog".

Source(s): Some knowledge of Swedish
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.