Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Need help understanding Texas DPS procedure?

If anyone knows thoroughly the procedure on dealing with violations or citations received during a traffic stop in San Antonio Texas please stop and take the time to read this thanks!!

Last month, (July 9th), i was pulled over for driving over the speed limit in San Antonio Texas. I received a warning (but no penalty assessed) for the speeding, however i WAS cited for driving with an expired driver's liscense. On the ticket i was issued, it states that i am hereby notified to appear before judge blank at court blank on OR BEFORE Wed August 18, 2010 10am. I was told by the officer who pulled me over that as long as i went and got my liscense renewed and appeared before the judge on OR BEFORE, that date, that i would be fine and would not have to pay the citation. Now here is where i fail to understand correctly:

The next monday i headed over to my dps and got my liscense renewed (couldnt go over the weekend), and headed straight from the dps to the constable to see when i could speak with the judge. They were closed by the time i got there (liscense renewal took forever man) and i wasnt able to make it back until that thursday. When i went in on thursday i told one of the clerks my situation and that i was there to see judge blank. She told me they didnt even have my ticket yet, and that even if they did, i could only see the judge on a tuesday or wednesday, and that today was a thursday.

work was picking up for me the next few weeks and i still had plenty of time before august 18, so i waited probably 2 weeks, and went back around the end of july. this time, (on a wednesday like i was told) upon entering the constable the officer at the desk asked me what i was here for and i explained the same situation to me. i showed him the ticket and he said they didnt have my ticket and that there was no coming before august 18th, i would have to come back on that date bright and early. How terribly can i have misunderstood, that ive been to the constable 3 times and still havent gotten this taken care of?

Sorry i know this is long but my point is this:

Why does my ticket say i can come on or before august 18th, if i cant come until August 18th exactly,

Why can i only come on a tuesday or wednesday,

Why do i need to go to court for a citation im supposedly going to be excused from,

And why couldnt all of this just be explained accurately to me way back at the traffic stop!?

Im hearing to totally different stories and it doesnt make sense to me. But i refuse to be caught up in warrants and all that bs. So if someone could please explain to me what i need to do id appreciate it

Favorite Answer

Why does my ticket say i can come on or before august 18th, if i cant come until August 18th exactly

There are a few possibilities: either they don't have the time to fit you in, the officer didn't actually file your ticket, or the officer just hasn't done it yet.

Why can i only come on a tuesday or wednesday

Most jurisdictions have open days set aside for certain types of violations. It's easier than setting individual dates and keeps everything flowing a bit better. Traffic all day.

Why do i need to go to court for a citation im supposedly going to be excused from

You have to prove that you did what was required. Frankly, even if it wasn't required, you should go anyway. If something happened so that they didn't receive the updated record, you'd have a warrant out. This way you can show your new license and know it's all done.

The officer isn't a judge. They certainly aren't responsible for the actions of the court. It's your job to know and understand your rights as a citizen of this country. No use whining about it, just get it done.

• *

My god! You need to go on Tuesday or Wednesday. That is when the judge is there.

What.. sorry, I will keep my opinions to myself.