Why do British people add an "R" on the end of some words that end in "A"?

Like when Simon Cowell would call Paula Abdul "Pauler" etc.. Just curious, and are there any words that Americans butcher in the English language?

10 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

    It's called a "linking r"; it's an "intrusive" one in your example (since 'Paula' never did end in 'r'). The process is modelled on other words that end in 'uhr' like 'colour', 'later', and so on and so on, where the 'r' is only pronounced when the next word begins with a vowel (remember that most British English accents don't otherwise pronounce syllable-final r's). There are so many such words ending in 'uhr' that where a word only ends in 'uh' (the neutral vowel schwa) and the next word begins in a vowel, the 'r' is inserted anyway.

    Since most American English accents do pronounce post-vocalic r's, there is no such thing as a linking r in American, hence there can be no intrusive r either because the model of the linking r doesn't exist. (You do have linking y and linking w, btw.)

  • Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Words That End In Add

  • Angie
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

    Three different countries make up Britain, therefore there's 3 totally different accents (Scottish, English, Welsh). Northern Irish people are also classed as British, so, that's 4 totally different accents, and within each of these countries, there's loads of different dialects.

    Simon Cowell comes from England, but not all English people talk this way.

    I'm from Scotland and I definitely don't add Rs onto the end of words (unless they're supposed to be there).

  • 9 years ago

    There're some Americans that do the R thing at the end as well. There's no such thing as a "British accent" there's like 25 distinct regional accents in England alone, not including like Scotland and Wales. Also, the English language, is flexible in that a wide variety of sounds and ways of speaking can develop and still be correct. In America, there's the Massachusetts accent, the New York accent, the Midatlantic, the Southern, the Texan, the African American, the Minnesotan, there's tons of accents and they're not all "butchering" the English language. If so what's the gold standard? Even the royalty of England has their own accent. Is that the official accent?

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Paula
    Lv 4
    4 years ago


  • 9 years ago

    It's only English ( not all British) people who do that, and not ALL English people at that... I agree... "Pauler Adcliffe" is another annoying one.

  • David
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    I have a sneaking suspicion that as far as a lot of Brits are concerned, Americans butcher virtually every word in the English language, actually. ;-)

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    * Ignore for points/votes *

    Just to confirm that Michelle is correct: see Wikipedia, Linking and intrusive R http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linking_and_intrusive...

    It's a regional accent feature of English areas where English is non-rhotic (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotic_and_non-rhotic... ) apparently one that developed over the past few centuries as some kind of compensatory effect as rhoticity declined in English.

  • 9 years ago

    Im English ... its your accent basically :)

    Where i come from you don't end your words properly ... but yeah, im proud to be a commoner! xD

    Source(s): meee
  • 9 years ago

    It's really curious...

    - 'Color' in the US but 'colour' in Britain

    - 'Civilization' in the US but 'Civilisation' in Britain

    - 'Center' in the US but 'Centre' in Britain

    - Elevator and lift

    - Apartment and flat

    Source(s): I live in Britain
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.