Sally asked in PetsOther - Pets · 9 years ago

What do do when My rabbit has a cold?

It's not bad he just has a runny nose, he's still very playfulll and eating/drinking well

My mom saidnot to take him to the vet because it's not really that bad. He's still his ussual playfull self

How should i take care off him when he has a cold? besides taking him to the vet?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Here is some info rabbits do not get colds if their nose is runny and they are sneezing it is serious.

Rabbits hardly ever act differently because in the wild if they act sick a predator will target them here is all the info on respiratory infections in rabbits.

Rabbits can suffer from infections of the upper respiratory tract (the sinuses and other parts of the tract that are not actually parts of the lungs), and this is usually manifested as runny nose, runny eyes and sneezing. Unlike a human cold, which is caused by a virus, rabbit upper respiratory infections are caused by bacteria. The condition is commonly called "snuffles."

"Snuffles" is is a non-specific, "catch-all" term used to describe such symptoms without naming the specific cause.. Until fairly recently, many veterinarians believed that "snuffles" was almost always caused by the bacterial pathogen Pasteurella multocida, commonly found in rabbits (though often without causing any problematic symptoms at all). More recent information suggests that many different species of bacteria can cause "snuffles." Some of the bacteria most commonly cultured from rabbit nasal discharge include Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Bordetella bronchiseptica, and Staphylococcus aureus, though there are many others.

Because bacterial species (and their different strains) have characteristic sensitivity and resistance to various antibiotics, it is worth your investment to allow your veterinarian to positively identify the pathogen (i.e., disease-causing agent) your bunny has. The best way is via a CULTURE AND SENSITIVITY test. This laboratory test is the only way to determine (1) the species of bacteria causing the infection and (2) which rabbit-safe antibiotics will be most effective at killing them.

If your rabbit is sneezing and/or shows signs of nasal and/or ocular discharge, especially if such discharge is whitish and thickened, she needs to be seen by a veterinarian and have a sample of nasal discharge taken and sent to a laboratory for culture and sensitivity testing. Once your vet receives the results of the C & S test, s/he will be better able to prescribe the particular antibiotic (or combination of antibiotics) that should be safest and most effective for your rabbit's infection.

Antibiotic therapy may need to be continued for several weeks, and it should always be continued for several days after symptoms have disappeared to ensure that as much of the bacterial population as possible has been killed. Follow your veterinarian's instructions carefully, and be sure to complete the full course of antibiotics, even if the symptoms go away before the medicine is gone. The reason for this? Even the most effective antibiotics might not kill some of the more resistant bacteria right away. Removing the drug too soon will leave only these particularly hardy individuals to be the progenitors of the new population of bacteria in your rabbit's sinuses, and these will be genetically better able to resist the antibiotics you have been using (i.e., the population has evolved resistance to the antibiotics). Don't stop the antibiotics early, and don't put off treatment! A seemingly simple condition such as sneezing could develop into a potentially life-threatening problem, such as pneumonia or a systemic infection.

• 6 years ago

I have (luckily) found a good animal vet - who is very knowledgeable about rabbits, and when I take a rabbit with snuffles she prescribes anti histamine (light brown liquid) in the first instance, and antibiotic (pink liquid) in the second instance - 1 mg per 1 kg rabbit weight.

What I do is mix a small amount of luke warm boiled water and some condensed milk - along with the medicine in a cup, and draw the mixture into a syringe, pick up the rabbit and feed it to it slowly.

• pelt
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Our rabbits are exterior in our rabbitry. We stuff our rabbits' cages finished with hay (no longer straw). that's great insulation and that's sturdy for them to consume. it would desire to no longer look like plenty yet draping a canvas or blanket over their cage will help, too. that's like masking plant life to ward off frost harm. make useful they are shielded from drafts. Leaving the backside open-air is advantageous and could provide him some sturdy sparkling air and shop the humidity/ammonia ranges down. Rabbits fare extra ideal interior the chilly than they do interior the warmth. Rabbits additionally advance thicker coats and consume extra nutrition for extra energy to maintain them heat in iciness. Your rabbits are sensible and could burrow interior the hay whilst that's relatively chilly. If the climate hits freezing temps then verify you're getting rid of any frozen water and replace it. do this approximately thrice an afternoon if mandatory. do no longer difficulty. they're going to be advantageous. basically verify you trek available this iciness to feed, water, sparkling, and play with them.

• 9 years ago

You can buy VetRx drops from Jeffers.com or some feed stores, and that may help. Or get some Aeromycin crumbles from a feed store, it's a feed thru antibiotic.

Rabbits rarely get colds.....so you might want to call a vet and find out what else you can do to help him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.