Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

RELIGIONISTAS: When you tell us that your 'bible' is perfect, and without error, how do you reconcile the?

two versions of the death of 'Judas'?

Matthew 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Acts 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

OK, which is it? And if it is one or the other, your 'bible' isn't pefect and without error.

Update:

Actually, it's worse but I wanted to keep the question short. In Matthew he gives the money back. In Acts he uses it to buy a field. You can't do both. So, one account is a lie.

Update 2:

@sheltie... I have much better sources.

The skeptic's annotated bible

Asimov's guide to the bible.

Both deal with the words as they are written.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Thanx for the ammo. I'll throw this at the next Bible thumper.

• 3 years ago

no longer basically that, right it rather is a actuality maximum folk do no longer know: That tale approximately who could throw the 1st stone? and so on, and so on, and so on........ outstanding and smart tale, whether it did no longer take place any copies of the gospel until eventually the middle a while. In different words, Jesus on no account reported it! And no person is accepted with who did. there are various gospels, yet basically 4 have been chosen via the early church fathers to be coated. There are the Gospels of Thomas, Peter, Phillip and Mary Magdalene. Plus in case you seem at those very heavily, you will see that the gospels rejected additionally confirmed that girls persons had extra capability and know than the early church "fathers" felt delicate with. They performed an indispensable section in the formation of the early church. subsequently, they have been thrown out. it is basic to locate them in the Gnostic gospels. plenty has been misinterpreted over the a while that I too won't be able to comprehend who's notice is god's notice. Hmmmm.....We view Greek mythology as only that. yet a technique or the different, the early Judeo-Christian writings are categorized the "notice of god." what's the version??

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Actually, it makes perfect sense if you read it carefully.

In Matthew, Judas throws the money back into the Temple. The Chief Priests know they can't put the money into the treasury, so the chief priest (referred to as "That One" in Acts 1:18) buys a field with it to bury people.

THAT is when Judas went to the field, realized that the blood money had been used to buy a field. Undoutedly he felt it appropriate to be its first "guest" so he hung himself and "his bowels spilled out". Neither account gives an exact chronological order, and to assume that because one book is placed after another, or even another verse placed after another is an exact chronology is a logical fallacy.

I know I'll get about 20 thumbs downs, but you asked, and I answered,

Have a nice day.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The two are not mutually exclusive. All Acts 1:18 says is that his body fell and burst open and his guts gushed out. Acts 1:18 does not state that this is how he died.

He hung himself.

His body fell.

His body burst open when it hit the ground.

Where's the contradiction? And how long past your bedtime did you stay up finding this? And how does it feel knowing your great discovery is easily answered?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

he died in one single event

it happen the way both scriptures say

he hung him self on a tree over hanging over a tall cliff

gravity caused the rope to break causing him to fall to the bottom where his bowels gush out by the force of the impact

they are in agreement

actual reading is good instead of making assumptions

no both accounts are true

the priest bought the field in judas name hence the man bought the field even though he was dead.

Mat 27:6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.

Mat 27:7 And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.

Mat 27:8 Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

Mat 27:9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;

Mat 27:10 And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me.

• 9 years ago

Its smee.

Before I answer your questioning, What is in your mind? We know that you have such darkness but you should not be blamed for that b/c all of us were born in darkness. You may be blamed if you like your darkness and lack of faith and wish to continue in it. Like a person who falls in the mud and keep sitting in it and think he is cooool. When you desire to know and believe the precious plan of God for salvation the Lord is rich in mercy and will reveal to you and then and only then you will follow. It is the heart not the mind.

Yes Judas hanged himself. Then after some days he become rotten and his members were deteriorated and fell from the tree and his body was gushed out!!!

Source(s): The Word of God, the Gospel
  • 9 years ago

That rope he was hanging on had to give way eventually. Not everyone's suicide attempts go as planned, you know. Judas must have been bad at rigging a proper noose. Anyway, not all "religionistas" (can we move past this word?) read the Bible. It may come as a surprise that Christianity is not the only religion.

The money Judas had on him was used to buy the field, he didn't buy it. Your sources certainly aren't biased, I might add.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Perhaps he hanged himself then the rope broke and he fell to the ground. I wasn't there but that could be one explanation. If you would use your brain maybe you could think these things through yourself.

• Benny
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Different story tellers. No one knows either way.

• 9 years ago

You can research anything that appears to be a contradiction here:

Contradictions?

http://kingdavid8.com/Contradictions/Home.html

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.