Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Will it damage a dog's ear to put drops of tea tree oil in it?

her ear makes noise when she shakes her head, like a wet slappy fluid noise. I had an experience with another dog that had an ear infection and none of the antibiotics from the vet cleared it up, the vet didn't help at all. I am going to try home remedies on this one before i go and spend all my cash on the vet. She is a longhaired dog, bordercollie, and i have clipped the hair around the ear and trimmed inside it so it can breathe and stay dry. There was brown chunks in the hair and there is a gunk coming from the inside. I don't know what is wrong with it. I was reading about earwashes that contain tea tree oil. How do i administer the tea tree oil? Drops full strength straight down the ear, or do i have to dilute it? It works as a topical bacteria killer right? ....I am also feeding her yogurt incase it is yeast.

shes old and has a heartworm infestation so severe, treating the heartworms will kill her. She will die soon anyways. She is not in pain because she isn't pawing at her ear, and as long as i don't cause her pain it doesn't matter if i take her to the vet or not, so no lecture about going to the vet.

Favorite Answer

The tea tree oil will not harm. (you can even gargle with it) it is an antibacterial. & fungicide.

But it will not get rid of the dark wax that is usually caused by ear mites. Use mineral oil once a day for 7 days, then miss 5 days and then repeat for 5 days. It is heavy and will go down into the lower ear canal. The dog will shake and loosen up the junk . Clean the wax off the ear with a warm damp cloth. The ear mites cause the ear to produce the dark wax which is defense mechanism. I have had std poodles with the same problem and it worked for them.

Info on Tea Tree oil.

http://www.teatreeoiluses.com/

Tea tree oil is toxic but not as toxic as the heart worms. It is more toxic in cats because they have more of a tendency to groom themselves. So I guess that the decision is yours.

Ask your doctor, dont experiment with different chemicals on a dog, it could just make things worse.