My eyelid is swollen and painful. Should I apply hot or cold?

2 days ago I woke up and my upper left eyelid hurt when I blinked. Yesterday when I got up it was really big and swollen, and a little red. I don't think it's a stye because I don't see a bump, and it doesn't itch and it's not very red. It's still very swollen and it's still painful,... show more 2 days ago I woke up and my upper left eyelid hurt when I blinked. Yesterday when I got up it was really big and swollen, and a little red. I don't think it's a stye because I don't see a bump, and it doesn't itch and it's not very red. It's still very swollen and it's still painful, especially when I blink. I know that you are supposed to apply warm/hot compresses with styes, and put ice on bruises and swollen areas, but because I am unsure of what it is, I don't know which to do, or to just leave it alone. Please help me! :(

Also, I'm only 13 and very stubborn. I know you're not supposed to touch it, but I do whenever I look in the mirror :/
Update: I don't have any allergies so I don't think it's that...,.
Update 2: Actually, the swelling went down a little and there is a bump, turns out it's actually a stye or a chalzion, so I should apply warm. BUt thanks for your answers! All 2 of 'em! ;)