Is it possible for a Wiccan to disbelieve in reincarnation?

This question is aimed at Traditional or non-fluffy, knowledgeable Eclectic Wiccans. I've been studying paganism (particularly Wicca) for two years now. I've been struggling as to whether I should dedicate myself to Wicca for a while now. I consider myself a pagan, but all my practices and beliefs reflect that of a Wiccan with the exception of belief in reincarnation. I've yet to find a Wiccan that does not believe in souls or reincarnation, so I do not know if it would be reasonable to dedicate myself to a Wiccan path with my disbelief. I feel strongly about disrespecting a religion by assuming a title and then throwing away tenets that do no suit you. So I'd like to have opinions about whether belief in reincarnation is core to Wicca.

Thanks for taking time to read and all serious replies.

Favorite Answer

Reincarnation isn't actually a core tenet of Wicca. It's something that some Wiccans believe.

I've been Wiccan for over 20 years, and I do not believe in an afterlife. The gods have made it very clear that this life is important, so if there is an afterlife, it's not important, and there is no point in fretting over something that is both unimportant and not within our control.

We are told to observe the universe for answers to questions. When an apple falls from a dying apple tree and grows into a new tree, that takes the old one's place, is it the *same* apple tree it fell from? NO. We are a natural religion, why would we think otherwise?

As I have said in the past, fretting over an afterlife is like standing in the street, with a truck barreling down at 55mph, ready to hit you, and pausing to consider what you might have for breakfast tomorrow.

A good Wiccan knows that dealing with the truck (this life) is what matters, not something that may or may not happen, especially if we don't deal with this life.

Edit: I'd like to add that the mysteries regularly include references to afterlives that don't involve reincarnation at all as well...how literally you take them is your own matter. I tend to think they change things in this life, not the next.

• MSB

Wicca doesn't have any scripture or dogma... I don't think not sharing a belief that is common among most Wiccans makes or breaks the deal.

Other than accepting death as a natural part of the life cycle, Wicca isn't really focused on an afterlife... more on your life as it is now. What may or may not happen is not central to our beliefs, there is only speculation.

you recognize there are no incredibly questions in this finished placed up, good? won't be able to truly help until you make sparkling what you're asking. If it makes you sense greater ideal, i do no longer extremely have confidence in reincarnation the two, and that i've got been Wiccan for greater effective than 15 years. it somewhat is not that i detect it extremely illogical (it makes greater experience to me than an afterlife such because of the fact the Summerlands), yet in basic terms that i've got not got any information for it. additionally, when you consider which you mostly do no longer undergo in innovations your previous lives, it somewhat is in no way looked extremely significant no rely if or no longer i've got confidence in it. It the two will take place, or it won't. Regardless, I should not be able to be attentive to. it does not make one little bit of distinction to the way I stay my existence.

Yes, it is possible. Reincarnation is not a core belief to Wicca nor is an afterlife. You're all set. :)

Depends on the individual Wiccan.

Yes, it is entirely possible! It is not necessary at all to believe in reincarnation or an afterlife. I personally do, but I wouldn't judge you or downgrade you for not believing in it. No worries! ^-^

Source(s): Wiccan 13+ years

Atheists are so used to harassing the Christians that they think you are a Christian. Look at the first answer. By the way, I'm a Catholic and I have nothing against Wiccans.

And yes, if you want, don't believe in reincarnation. Its only one thread in a sheet.

i think the best thing to do is to not claim any religion just believe what you believe and you will be ok

yes, I don't think there is any set authorised list of dogma with their church