Puppy food suggestions?

I am currently feeding my puppy James Wellbeloved Puppy Kibble (breeder fed her that) and she's fine with it but I might change it...

I was thinking of getting her Orijen Puppy Food....

Here are the ingredients...

Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs, turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

Would that be okay to give her?? (10 weeks old)

Jennifer...They are American brands and I live in England...

Favorite Answer

Ask a vet, or the breeder

• Lois

First off, a dramatic switch will cause some diarrhea--so...mixing the food in parts for a "switchover" is best--slowly weaning the dogs off their old food. Expect gas, soft stool with a switch--it takes usually 6 weeks for an old food to completely be out of a dog's system. Depends on your budget and the availability of certain foods in your area. My dog was on Nutro and did VERY well on it until he got older and developed food sensitivities--stomach issues. So, he is on Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. Royal Canin is a good brand--natural based---the kibble size was too small for my rottweiler so...I have never used it. There are a multitude of sites on the web for comparison--but, the brilliant aspect is that you can change later if you want---I have read veterinary recommendations to do a food rotation every 6 months or so to prevent a dog's system from becoming resistant to certain ingredients and developing allergies of sensitivities. Read, test, decide---good luck--at least you are bothering to ask---most people are content to just feed the cheapest food they can find, even if it doesn't have any nutritional value.

From experience the best dog foods on the market are: Orijen, Canidae and Blue Buffalo. All are great foods with virtually the same nutrition value and are leagues above brands like Iams, Purina, Eukanuba, etc.

This food sounds good and the ingredients aren't processed chemicals or anything. My personal recommendation for puppy food if you can afford it is canidae, it is really nutritious and my vet, the place we got our dog, the owner of the feed store, and all the kennels we know all say that canidae is the best for dogs because it gives the most amount of nutrients. I don't mean to sound like an ad but its done great things for our dogs.

Source(s): vet, kennel, feed store

got to a good pet store, they have a great choice of foods for all ages of dogs