Why do a lot of Americans think 'American lives' are more precious than any other lives?

I'm in Ireland currently. The deaths of Iraqis and Afghans as a result of the wars in those countries gets more news coverage here, in a neutral country that has nothing to do with America's wars, than in the US itself. Isn't that ridiculous? Even if you look about on Y!A, most Americans are... show more I'm in Ireland currently. The deaths of Iraqis and Afghans as a result of the wars in those countries gets more news coverage here, in a neutral country that has nothing to do with America's wars, than in the US itself. Isn't that ridiculous?

Even if you look about on Y!A, most Americans are incredibly concerned of the death of say, one US soldier, but if American troops accidentally fire a missile at a building full of Afghan civilians, they don't even mention it. If you bring it up, it's "collateral damage".

Do many Americans really think that American lives are much more important than other lives? Or does it just seem that way?
Update: @ Cleetus: I'm the one who needs to know what I'm talking about? Ireland is a neutral country. It's not even a member of NATO. The fact that you got 5 thumbs-up shows how ignorant Americans really are.
Update 3: @ Glory: Read through the other answers. Most Americans apparently do feel that way.
Update 4: @ Crime Inc: Why would I be watching the BBC in Ireland?