Is it illegal to download a game via torrent that you already own?

Say i have a game that i misplaced, (Diablo 2), and still have the box and everything. Is it illegal to download it and play it?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. It is always illegal to pirate a game (torrent), even if you own the physical copy. Sorry, I guess you're just out of luck unless you want to break the law.

• Nick
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

you can make a backup yourself, but you cannot obtain a backup from another person. kinda redundant.

and there will always be ways that a company's lawyers will be able to play tricks with you

the chance that a company is going to go after a person who downloaded one game for personal use is slim to none

also, the thing about games is it is illegal to upload them, but not download them. The uploader is the person who is providing the game to everyone else. However, as you download a torrent (leech) you also upload it (seed) to others, so you could also be considered a distributer of pirated software.

Again, chances of a company going after one person who downloads one game. Slim to none.

• 1 decade ago

Yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.