Julius Caesar & Jesus Christ?

Before you read this, I just want to let the audience know that I'm not looking for an argument or debate. This question I post is mainly to refer history. I'm not here to judge you on your beliefs or instigate any sort of rubbish. If your not going to answer the question politely, then keep your comments to yourself. Please, thanks.

With the birth of Jesus Christ, it reveals that he lived for a life of span of an estimated 30 years. In the bible, the time frame between his Birth to his Crucifixion gives a bit of a gap. Just to summarize some life events, he is a carpenter, he's baptized by John the Baptist, he heals the sick, the blind, and is later betrayed by Judas. Crucified. Within in his life span, we only know so much of what the Bible reveals to us.

Julius Caesar, via timeline, was born before Jesus Christ. Yet, we have so much information about Julius Casar and the empire he built up for Rome. We know enough information about his life that we can connect him through history, with his title CAESAR being repeated many times. Not just in Rome itself, but in other parts of ruled Empire. Then we all know his assassination.

My question is; being that Julius Caesar was born before Jesus Christ, how is that we have just Biblical text referring Jesus Christ? Wasn't there anyone else recording Jesus Christ in their own text as well? Information is constantly being copied, preserved, kept safe, but with world events and time, documents are lost and even texts are destroyed on purpose. Do you think the life between Jesus's birth and a leap forward to when he was 30, is part of the missing text or passages? Could be I'd say. But what do you think?

Update:

"I'm sorry...but I don't understand what exactly you are asking. Caesar lived roughly 100 years before Christ. He's not in the Bible because Christianity didn't exist until Christ. I don't see any correlation."

No, I'm not looking to say that Caesar was in the Bible or anything. I'm asking how is it that we know much more about his Caesar's life than that of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ was born later than Caesar was. Yet, Caesar has much more historical records than what Jesus has, other than the Bible. So, how come there isn't anymore information on Jesus Christ? I'm sure someone out there was recording his life as well too but never printed.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Jesus was a total unknown outside of his area and people while he was alive.

Christianity didn't develop until after his crucifixion.

Also, there WERE several books of the Bible pertaining to the early life of Jesus, childhood, adolesence, the life of his Mother.

These books, New Testament Apocrypha, Gnostic texts, Pseudepigrapha, were removed from the scriptures by the Council of Nicea, hosted by pagan Holy Roman Emperor Constentine I.

The Koran mentions him several times.

Clement of Rome (c. 96),

Ignatius of Antioch (c. 107–110)

Papias and Quadratus (d. 124) by Eusebius

Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus (c. 69–140) wrote the following in his Lives of the Twelve Caesars about riots which broke out in the Jewish community in Rome under the emperor Claudius:

"As the Jews were making constant disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus, he [ Claudius ] expelled them [the Jews] from Rome".

Mara bar Sarapion was a Syrian Stoic. While imprisoned by the Romans, Mara wrote a letter to his son that includes the following text:

For what benefit did the Athenians obtain by putting Socrates to death, seeing that they received as retribution for it famine and pestilence? Or the people of Samos by the burning of Pythagoras, seeing that in one hour the whole of their country was covered with sand? Or the Jews by the murder of their Wise King, seeing that from that very time their kingdom was driven away from them? For with justice did God grant a recompense to the wisdom of all three of them. For the Athenians died by famine; and the people of Samos were covered by the sea without remedy; and the Jews, brought to desolation and expelled from their kingdom, are driven away into every land. Nay, Socrates did “not” die, because of Plato; nor yet Pythagoras, because of the statue of Hera; nor yet the Wise King, because of the new laws which he enacted.

Lucian, a second century Romano-Syrian satirist, who wrote in Greek, wrote:

The Christians, you know, worship a man to this day — the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account… You see, these misguided creatures start with the general conviction that they are immortal for all time, which explains the contempt of death and voluntary self-devotion which are so common among them; and then it was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws

The Acts of Pilate is purportedly an official document from Pilate reporting events in Judea to the Emperor Tiberius (thus, it would have been among the commentaii principis). It was mentioned by Justin Martyr, in his First Apology (c. 150) to Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius, and Lucius Verus. He said that his claims concerning Jesus' crucifixion, and some miracles, could be verified by referencing the official record, the "Acts of Pontius Pilate".

The Babylonian Talmud in a few rare instances likely or possibly refers to Jesus using the terms "Yeshu," "Yeshu ha-Notzri," "ben Satda," and "ben Pandera." These references probably date back to the Tannaitic period (70 AD). One important reference relates the trial and execution of Jesus and his disciples. It includes this text:

It is taught: On the eve of Passover they hung Yeshu and the crier went forth for forty days beforehand declaring that "[Yeshu] is going to be stoned for practicing witchcraft, for enticing and leading Israel astray. Anyone who knows something to clear him should come forth and exonerate him." But no one had anything exonerating for him and they hung him on the eve of Passover. Ulla said: Would one think that we should look for exonerating evidence for him? He was an enticer and God said (Deuteronomy 13:9) "Show him no pity or compassion, and do not shield him." Yeshu was different because he was close to the government.

Josephus (A Jewish historian)

The Antiquites: "He [Ananias] covened a meeting of the Sanhedrin and brought before them a man named James, the brother of Jesus,who was called the Christ, and certain others. He accused them of having transgressed the law and delivered them up to be stoned."

Controversies: None

The Antiquities:Testimonium Flavianum: "About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Christ. Where Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest staqnding among us, had sondemned him to be crucified, those who had in the firstplace come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared."

Controversies: Both Jewish and Christian scholars agree that this work is authentic; however, it has some added phrases. Here they are: " if indeed one ought to call him a man", "He was the Christ", and "On the third day he appeared to them restored to life".

Tacitus ( a Roman historian)

Annals: "Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil,but even in Rome....Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty: then, up their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind."

Pliny the Younger (a Roman and governor of Bithynia)

Letters: " I have asked them if they are Christians, and if they admit it, I repeat the question a second and third time, with a warning of the punishment awaiting them. If they persist, I order them to be led away for execution; for, whateverthe nature of their admission, I am convinced that their stubborneness and unshakable obstinacy ought not go unpunished. . . .

They also declared that the sum total of their guilt or error amounted to no more than this: they had met regularly before dawn on a fixed day to chant erses alternately amongst themselves in honor of Christ as if to a god, and also to bind themselves by oath, not for any criminal purpose, but to abstain from theft, robbery, and adultery. . . .

This made me decide it was all the more necessary to extract the truth by torture from two slave-women, whom they called deaonesses. I found nothing but a degenerate sort of cult carried to extravagant lengths."

Justin Martyr, a second-century theologian, wrote, “Now there is a village in the land of the Jews, 35 stadia from Jerusalem, in which Christ was born, as you can ascertain also from the registries of the taxing under Cyrenius your first procurator in Judea” (First Apology, chapter 34).

Martyr was referring to the records of Jesus’ birth in Judea that were still in existence in his day.

Julian the Apostate (called such because he rejected Christianity after being raised in it), a fourth-century emperor, wrote, “Jesus, whom you celebrate, was one of Caesar’s subjects. If you dispute it, I will prove it by and by; but it may be as well done now. For yourselves allow, that he was enrolled with his father and mother in Cyrenius…But Jesus having persuaded a few among you, and those the worst of men, has now been celebrated about 300 years; having done nothing worthy of remembrance; unless anyone thinks it is a mighty matter to heal lame and blind people, and exorcise demoniacs in the villages of Bethsaida and Bethany” (Cyril Contra Julian, VI, 191, 213).

The Jewish Encyclopedia (1907 edition) explains that Jesus is also mentioned in the Talmud, the Jewish tradition consisting of the Mishnah and the Gemara. These references to Christ are found in the sections Shabbath 104b and 116b; Sanhedrin 43a, 67a and 107b; and Sotah 47a.

There's more but I am tired.

I should have never written that much for being on here but I was proving a point.

For 2000 people have been talking about Jesus ... Israeli Jews, Babylonian Jews, Greeks, Romans, Bithynians, Judaeans, Arabs, Syrians, etc.

Not bad for a guy who wandered no farther than a few miles from where he was born.

http://www.thercg.org/questions/p189.a.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

http://web.archive.org/web/20070205053655/http://w...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/reli...

• ross
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Julius Caesar And Jesus

• 1 decade ago

I don't really understand what you are asking but I think the reason we know so much about Julius Caesar as opposed to Christ is because for one thing, Caesar was a ruler and Christ was a reformer, and the thing about reformer's is that there is always someone who wants to silence them. Even after Christ's crucifixion, Christianity was illegal and to practice had to be done in secret. Those unfortunate Christians who were either rounded up by the Jews or the Romans found themselves being fed to the lions.

• 5 years ago

Answer to your question. Dead Sea Scrolls. Eusebius. Then Josephus. Josephus was first, but I'd say it is best you read Eusebius's work. He came a few generations after Jesus and was writing about his life and the church and he was an outsider (not Christian when he started). Also he comments on how much literature was burned by the Jews and by Romans specifically mentioning Jesus because they were trying heavily to eradicate Jesus's name out of history. In irony, everything they did to erase Jesus did nothing more than promote the name of Jesus and his followers....thus creating the ever popular Constantine. Constantine then went on a reverse role of previous rulers and then went and tried to find all the literature of Jesus that existed, but the Jews that are now known as Christian that held it were terrified and fled the areas. He had to search lands as far as Ethiopia, dig up passages and practically beg for scripts that proved legitimate. He, along with the other canonizers found consistency in the stories and wrote down those stories that were already written and were the most repeated stories documented about Jesus. This is the answer to your question. Other than the 3 scripts known Dead Sea Scrolls, Josephus's work, and Eusebius's work which adds up to almost like 100 entries or more then the Catholic Church and Easter Orthodoxy and Ethiopians have other scripts that were not added in the new testament but were accounts people wrote of Jesus in or very close to his day.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

Well considering Julius Caesar was royalty thats the only reason why I would say there is more information. Caesar controlled an entire empire, which also means he controlled its records. Thats my take on it. Same reason theres more information on Abraham Lincoln's life than Harriet Tubman. Even though they both existed in the same time period. If that makes sense

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Julius Caesar & Jesus Christ?

Before you read this, I just want to let the audience know that I'm not looking for an argument or debate. This question I post is mainly to refer history. I'm not here to judge you on your beliefs or instigate any sort of rubbish. If your not going to answer the question politely, then...

Source(s): julius caesar jesus christ: https://tr.im/fKHYd
  • ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aw714

You have done great work of finding comparisons but one thing is ignored . Julius was a political man and king by sword Jesus Christ was not a political at all and only spiritual, and not a man but a Divinity in the form of man... who ruled the hearts of poor, and spiritual people. Julius was not born of Virgin Jesus was born of Virgin When Julius was stabbed to death, his pet Dog ate his flesh and Cleopatra was nowhere in the sight at that time. when Jesus was crucified he was brought down by Magdalena . No one remembers any sermons given by Julius, Jesus has given immortal sermons and shown the path to salvation. Julius was a passionate man who loved worldly luxury, wealth and woman.. Jesus was also a lover , but lover of truth, of spirituality, and had no carnal desires.. there are upteenth and glaring differences which put both Julius and Jesus on extreme

• 7 years ago

True the bible has been rewritten many times and translated in many different languages, but I think the bible gives a good description of Jesus Christ life history biblical teachings by his spiritual father, GOD with the facts and historical events they have. I think many things hadn't been placed in the bible by King James who had translated into English by the help of Scholars and religious scholars. He didn't wrote the bible like many say he did. A lot of information and facts had been misunderstood about Jesus's life and his death, that is why a lot of information had been left out from when he was a new born baby until his very own crucifixion. And then again a lot of things that had been written down, had not made it to the Holy bible, because it was ruined or faded away many years ago.

• 1 decade ago

The reason that we have more information on Caesar than Christ, is because Caesar was considered a great hero and even a demigod by the Romans when he was alive, and Jesus was just an idealistic Judean peasant to the Romans, thus they didn't consider his life important enough to document.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because you are getting into an area where there is little to no historical records of Christ. He does not appear in historical records of that time which is unusual if he did indeed exist. The Romans had more of a fetish about records than Washington DC has. The ones where he does appear such as Josephus is very much in doubt simply because the language is wrong. It would be like a rapper inserting lines into Shakespeare. You are going to know something is very wrong with that picture when Romeo comes out with Yo Baby Baby to Juliet.

Caesar in turn is a well documented historical figure from many sources who did exist.

For more information search "The historical Jesus" , German Critical Method and Bible Criticism. There is a whole area of study of this and many books written on the subject if you wish further research. Do note that the article on Wikipedia for the Historical Jesus does not appear to be neutral but appears to be what we call an Apologist attempt. I have also included a link to one of my prof which has subject listings on the page you may want to search if you have interest in this area.

• Arbie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Jesus is mentioned briefly on two occasions in Josephus. The first may be a later insertion by a copiest/editor, but it's unlikely the second is.

There also are several gospels relating the life of Jesus which are not in the Bible. The Bible was assembled by religious leaders and politicians in the mid-300s. Prior to that time, the "New Testament" had many additional books in it, such as the Gospel of Thomas, which related other elements of Jesus' life and teachings.

Also, we know from comparison of doctrines that Jesus at some point came under the influence of the Essenes. The Essenes were ideologically opposed to the Sadducees, of which Josephus was one. It is probable that Jesus' early years were spent in study, since it takes a very long time to master some of these doctrines, and the Biblical account of his ministry reveals that, by the time the coverage starts, Jesus is highly polished.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.