What's the punishment for first offense juvenile Grand theft auto in Pennsylvania?

16yr old stole parents car and drove it to another state...What will be the punishment in the state of PA....Clean recorded until now...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Well, this case has a lot of problems with it. In order for it to be a felony receipt of stolen property the 16yr old must have the intent to permanently deprive the owners of the vehicle. This would be very difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Theoretically, the kid could argue that he/she intended to bring it back and merely never had permission to take it. This would drop the case down to misdemeanor Unauthorized Use of Auto, which is punishable by a maximum of 1 year in prison.

The exact punishment is going to depend on the county in which the offense occurred, the judge, and the specific story of the kid. The juvenile justice system in PA is very fact specific. Two 16 year-olds with the same criminal record can have drastically different sentences before the same judge.

The various forms of rehabilitation (punishment) can include private placement in a juvenile facility for a certain length of time, restriction (sort like a curfew/probation with terms for community service), mandatory counseling, restitution and so on.

The judge will either defer adjudication of delinquency or adjudicate the kid as delinquent. The prosecution has an uphill battle getting this into criminal court, but the judge may think that it belongs there.

I can't say for sure, but there is a good likelihood of the felony being dropped even if the juvenile is found guilty. I've seen many judges find juveniles guilty of misdemeanor assault and theft rather than robbery, even when the facts have established the felony.

Based on the limited facts that you supplied, I would imagine that a judge would require restriction, good grades, drug and alcohol testing, and some sort of counseling. If the parents come and testify negatively saying that they cannot control their child anymore, the car was gone for several weeks, and a parent lost a job as a result of the "theft," then the judge might order private placement in an institution for 6months to a year. This is sort of like a boarding school for delinquents, and can be quite rough, though not as rough as jail. Whether he goes into private placement will depend on the level of criminal activity of the other juveniles who go there. He won't go into private placement if it is overflowing with 14 year-olds who have been arrested for drug dealing, stealing stranger's cars, robbery, and repeated offenses. Regardless, the state is going to intervene in this juvenile's life in a major way to ensure there is no life of crime.

Source(s): http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/judiciary-and-j... Pennsylvania Attorney former prosecutor
  • 1 decade ago

With the usual caveats: Probably not much. If he is adjudicated delinqent on the felony charge, in my jurisdiction the kid would be put on probation and do community service in addition to paying restitution. But you said this is his parent's car, so unless the parents have a hard-on and demand a felony, it will probably be plead down to unauthorized use of an automobile, which is a misdemeanor. Of course, the parents might choose not to appear in court one or two times, and the case would get dismissed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A swift a$$ whipping from your parents would be justified. Let me guess meet a boy on the internet or your boyfriend moved away and nothing could get in the way of yall's love. Maybe just probation if you have a good lawyer.

• durick
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i don't have a particular favourtite, i admire them occupied with diverse reasons. i'd say my fave is San Andreas, yet i'm no longer able to describe why, it grow to be my first GTA that purely belonged to me, so own reasons incredibly, and a pair of participant :) 2nd, Vice city: i admire the song and environment. third, Vice city memories for the same reason.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.