What does this mark twain quote mean?

What does this Mark Twain quote mean? "I will not let schooling get in the way of my education." Please explain what this means and why you think Mark Twain said ittt.

Favorite Answer

Schools feed you a curriculum, not an education. Mark Twain was an influential mind who believed a true education can only come through experience AND knowledge.

Although schools try to fill you up with knowledge, most of it is useless information. To truly be educated one has to think for their self, which is where schools lack. Have you ever tried turning in a math assignment with the math done differently than how they showed you. I have and got a failing grade before I fought it back to an A.

What he means is that people will try to tell you what they think is educating for you, but he is going to decide for himself what is educating and actively pursue that education, regardless of what he is taught in school. In many cases you will find out that the facts you are shown in school are merely an opinion of who is showing you.

Take the colonization of America for instance. That is what you've been taught, we colonized America. Pretty simple right. But ask a Native American if the pilgrims colonized America or if they seized America through warfare and espionage and you will get a very different "education" of the colonization.

• hake

Mark Twain Education Quotes

He meant that the most important kind of education is that of the education obtained through trial and error and through your own real life experiences. I believe; although my memory is a little sketchy and I may be mistaken about this, that Twain did not finish schooling and dropped out as early as elementary school because I know that he quickly became a printers apprentice at the age of 11. Twain was also widely known not only as a renowned write, but a humorist as well who was known for his sense of humor and sharp wit just as much as he was for his tenacious and mischievous character Huckleberry Finn

Source(s): History major currently working towards a bachelors degree @ the SUNY College @ Oneonta in his senior year and a big fan of Twains work as well as being extremely well versed in the non-fiction historically significant literature of America

It means that schools only teach by the standards and he wants to be taught more than what is required; he doesn't want to be like every other student, or human. He wants to gain knowledge and know more than what the Government is allowing teachers to teach.

Education is something that is learned from friends, family, teachers, life etc. without withholding information purposely to try and "save people grief" or hurt another person's feelings.

it means that independent learning is very important. It also suggests that schools might be narrow in their viewpoints, or overemphasize rote memorization. He said it because he was a social critic who liked to go against the grain.

What he means is formal education is sometimes subjective and someone elses ideas, where as life, living, experience is true education.

Source(s): Life

I think it means to think outside of the box- like don't let others change the way you think.

• orange

Hmmmm, he might not want schools to get in the way of his future? This is confusing.

Sorry, its not what I think it means, its you