Should I lube my ABEC 3 skateboard bearings?

i took out my ABEC 3 skateboard bearings, (which i was told they are serviceable) and wiped them down with a paper towel, and i wiped down the axle of my trucks too. I'm not sure if i should put something on the bearings and axle, or just leave it.

i have 2 boards and they both have ABEC 3 bearings and I'm going to get some bones reds as soon as possible but i only took off one wheel cause I spilled water on it. PLEASE HELP!!

Best Answer

Gabe Arch is full of *%$^

ABEC has nothing to do with sealing bearings. It is specs for high speed machinery that will never see water and has no practical use for skates or boards except as advertising hype.

Sealed bearings do exist but are REALLY SLOOOOOOW. No one uses them on skates or boards.

If your bearings spin cleanly with no slight crunching feeling as you turn them, they survived.

Almost all bearings are serviceable. If they have neoprene coated shields, gently pry the shield from the center. If the shields are metal, you have to find the end of the C ring on the outside edge and pry it out - then the shield can come out. Only remove one shield and throw it away. Reassemble the bearings so that the open sides of the bearings are towards each other.

I have heard from other people that the bones bearings are particularly prone to water damage and the Twin Cam are particularly tolerant (no water is any good for any bearing) to water. I tend to use Zero Drag because I know a vendor well that sells them (www.RollerBob.com) at a good price.

Source(s): 14+ years of inline skating. Longer experience as an engineer.

They should be fine i would think. A little waters not going to hurt ABEC dude. Most ABEC bearings have a sealant coating on them so they don't rust. I've skated a lot of different hardware and bearinigs, and by far my favorite have got to be ABEC. Bones don't seem to last very long in my opinion.

Source(s): I've been skating for 6 years now.