Theists: Who are some historical figures that you feel have been either misquoted,?

misread, or had words taken out of context in order for atheists to use to "prove" that they did not believe in God?

Scripture has also been misused in this way.

Example, Thomas Jefferson said - "Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear... Do not be frightened from this inquiry from any fear of its consequences. If it ends in the belief that there is no God, you will find incitements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise..."

But these quotes are also attributed to him:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

...and: "God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure if we have removed their only firm basis: a conviction in the minds of men that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."

http://quotes.liberty-tree.ca/quotes_by/thomas+jef...

Can you come up with any other examples?

BQ: What do believers in God think about the first quote? I believe that he is saying that if you come to the conclusion that there is a God, do not use fear in your decision and that he was sort of disagreeing with Pascal's Wager here. Just my thoughts.

Update:

Any believers here? I was interested in THEIST responses, particularly those of Abrahamic religions and of course, CHRISTIANS are most welcome.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"[T]he Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion"

-Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli, ratified unanimously (the third such unanimous Senate vote in the history of the U.S. up to that point) by the Senate, signed into law by President John Adams, founding father and former Church deacon.

John Adams goes a bit further with his signing statement:

Now be it known, That I John Adams, President of the United States of America, having seen and considered the said Treaty do, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, accept, ratify, and confirm the same, and every clause and article thereof. And to the End that the said Treaty may be observed, and performed with good Faith on the part of the United States, I have ordered the premises to be made public; And I do hereby enjoin and require all persons bearing office civil or military within the United States, and all other citizens or inhabitants thereof, faithfully to observe and fulfill the said Treaty and every clause and article thereof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli#Art...

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llsp&f...

Source(s): Just wanted to get this out of the way
  • 1 decade ago

I think that Buddha was vastly misquoted as his teachings were passed down orally for over 400 years before someone wrote them down. For example, Buddhists believe in reincarnation, which the buddha spoke on. But given the strong presence of Hinduism at the time and place, i think this was made into a more literal translation. Buddha spoke a lot about how we are part of the universe and it is part of us, i believe he meant that when we die, our bodies will decay and our remains will disperse and give life to new things, thus we will start a new cycle of existence. I don't think he ever meant that we would be born again and have new lives as someone or something else.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Darwin has been quoted out of context SO many times. Creationists keep using the "Absurd in the highest degree" line from Origin Of Species, they want you to believe that Darwin himself doubted his own theory. Quote-mines baby.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Alexander the super with the aid of Iron Maiden Bullet with the aid of The Misfits (references the Kennedy assassination) Bonzo is going To Bitsburg with the aid of The Ramones BQ1: Gandhi BQ2: Hell ya! He became an ultimate individual who comes around as quickly as in an entire life. BQ3: 5 Years with the aid of David Bowie

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NOT MISQUOTED! Not all of them can be taken literally, they say!

Sorry.................. I didn't read the whole question before I answered! But i won't delete my answer because I feel that it has some bearing on your question...........

JESUS LOVES THE ROMAN TAX COLLECTORS, PROSTITUTES AND EVEN THE SODOMITES MORE THAN THE JEWS that he came NOT TO SAVE, but to be their MESSIAH KING! The 3 Soothsayers from the East came to greet the “NEWBORN KING OF THE JEWS” not the “SAVIOR OF THE WORLD!”

As the “Gospels” began to be written they were upgraded to show that Jesus was a friend of the Romans! After the initial flirting with the Jews “Jesus” confessed to Pontius Pilate that his kingdom was NOT OF THIS WORLD (John 18:36, Luk 23:28)! The Early Church Fathers knew the advantages of making the Christian religion acceptable to the Roman authorities! For the last 2,000 years the original religion that they put together is still known as the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH!

IN ALL THE GOSPELS “Jesus” always taught to PAY TAXES FIRST TO THE ROMAN CAESAR GOD and whatever is left over give it to the Bible God (Luk 20:25, Mat 22:21, Mar 12:17)! In the Roman Empire Caesar was worshiped as God, so the transition to worship the Bible God through a Roman Pontiff was a smooth one!

According to the Bible writers “Jesus” never made it easier for any Jew to go to “Heaven,” except for ALL the Jewish PROSTITUTES and ALL the Jewish ROMAN tax collectors who mysteriously believed “in Jesus” like a charm! They are entering Heaven ahead of the Jews. Like if the rest of the straight Jews were somebody else. Christianity was obviously put together by “Christian” Jews hating fellow Jews… maybe for political reasons! The Bible writers NEVER favored any other decent trade among the Jews as much as PROSTITUTION, TAX COLLECTION FOR THE ROMAN EMPIRE, and SODOMY, although SODOMY is not really a trade except for some gay Shrine Prostitutes that King Solomon instituted in his newly built Holy Temple of God until it was modified…

2 Kings 23:7 (NIV) He* (*King Josiah) also tore down the quarters of the MALE SHRINE PROSTITUTES* (*they went on for over 300 Bible years servicing guys coming to worship the Bible God!), which were in the temple of the LORD…

Matthew 21:31 (NIV) Jesus said to them, "I TELL YOU THE TRUTH* (*no more BULL CRAP!), the tax collectors* (*the Jewish ROMAN TAX COLLECTORS) and the PROSTITUTES* (*not ex-prostitutes, but ACTIVE JEWISH PROSTITUTES of all sorts including gay and lesbian prostitutes that Jesus must have known personally!) ARE ENTERING* (*without any hassle before he was even crucified for anybody!) THE KINGDOM OF GOD ahead of you* (*STRAIGHT JEWS! Hey, IF GOD THE SON JESUS CHRIST IS TELLING THE TRUTH, Christians better believe him!)

Matthew 11:24 (KJV) But I say unto you* (*again, NO BULL CRAP!), that it shall be more tolerable for the land of SODOM in the Day of Judgment, than for thee* (*STRAIGHT JEWS!)

Jesus imposed all sorts of obstacles for the Jews in ANY OTHER DECENT TRADE to go to “Heaven” when they die, from HATING THEIR OWN PARENTS (Luk 14:26), to chopping off body organs and limbs (Mat 18:8), including CASTRATION for the “KINGDOM SAKE” (Mat 19:12), to giving up ALL THAT THEY OWN (Luk 14:33)! No Christian bigot today believes “in Jesus” like that!

Rahab was a hot PROSTITUTE! According to the Bible writers she is saved in “Heaven” waiting for clients. 1,500 Bible years after her death Saint Paul and Saint James are still promoting her services in their Bible stories as a RIGHTEOUS PROSTITUTE and as an EXAMPLE to other prostitutes who wish to go “Heaven” when they die even if they never heard about Jesus, but who are good in their trade like Rahab (Rom 15:4)! Saint Paul may have been upset at some other prostitutes, but not at Rahab! He listed her in the BIBLE FAITHFULL SAINTS HALL OF FAME!

Hebrews 11:31 (KJV) By faith the PROSTITUTE* (*not ex-prostitute, but HOLY BIBLE GOD RIGHTEOUS PALESTINIAN PROSTITUTE!) Rahab, BECAUSE she welcomed the spies* (*in all honesty, any “hot” prostitute would welcome almost anybody even a horse for the right money!), was not killed with those who were disobedient* (*those who didn’t surrender to the invading Armies of the LORD God of Israel. In Jericho, only this Palestinian Prostitute was saved).

James 2:25 (KJV) In the same way, was not even Rahab the PROSTITUTE* (*not the ex-prostitute, but THE PROSTITUTE!) considered RIGHTEOUS for what she did when she gave lodging* (*sex) to the spies and sent them off in a different direction* (*SHE LIED! – Now practically all the NT Bible writers still REMEMBER this RIGHTEOUS PROSTITUTE RAHAB with great devotion and respect. Israel’s existence in the Middle East wouldn’t have been possible without her help -Joshua 2:1-3, 6:17-25. Some popular Preachers here in the USA claim that school kids in Israel read the Bible as their HISTORY book. I wonder how they honor Rahab).

The Christian religion is a success TODAY only because some VERY ARTICULATE Preachers are trained to tell everybody that not all the Bible can be taken literally!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.