Would you lie about your religion (or lack of) if it meant avoiding problems with friends, family, work, etc?

I live in a conservative part of Texas. My family is also conservative. Southern baptist, conservative, "God fearing" people. My atheism did not go over well with my mother, though she soon learned to accept it. It's sad to say, but she's more open-minded and probably more intelligent than my other family members. I know that they would not take my atheism well, so I'm left to hide it. My grandmother for example goes on and on about Jesus and how I should thank him. I just nod my head. It's hard, but it's all I can do. She wouldn't take it well.

All my life I've been honest. But now, I'm not. I'm left feeling like a liar.

If you are an atheist, or someone who has a religion that is different from the "norm", would you or do you lie to avoid problems? If so, please explain!

Favorite Answer

My friends don't care that I'm an atheist and they're all Christians. Most of the people I work with are Agnostics, Atheists and Rastafarians (lol). As for my family. I have one famliy member who accepts that I'm an atheist. My jewish grandmother. She's the only one in my family who knows that I'm an atheist. After I move out, I'll tell the rest of my famliy (aslo majorly Conservative, Christian douchbombs) that I'm an atheist. They don't really need to know. But check this out. A lot of the people at my church youth group know I'm an atheist and are totally fine with it.

I don't see how Atheism is a religion but no I would not lie about my religion (or lack of). I am Muslim and though my family does not accept my religion (dad is into evolution, step mom is Catholic and mom is a non-practicing Christian/rest of family is Atheist/Agnostic) I do not hide my religion from them.

• Jeff

I agree with Kaleidoskopic Romance.

Unless someone directly asks you about your religion, not speaking up when religion is a topic of discussion isn't lying - it's just discretion. (After all, people with medical conditions usually don't feel compelled to tell others about them until they hit retirement age - is that lying?)

And if someone does directly ask you, just say you consider your religion to be a private matter. If they don't respect that, just give them the same answer.

That is a difficult one. I was raised Catholic. More Liberal to moderate. I consider myself a Deist/Pantheist and my older brother is an Atheist. My parents don't have a problem with it. then Again, I'm 38 and my older brother is 40. Maybe if your old enough to move out on your own you won't have to worry about it then.

I just change the subject or avoid the conversation. I tried to respectfully explain it once to my husband's family, and it didn't go well. I don't care what they believe in, but I wish they would be respectful of what I believe. My husband knows, and tries to be understanding, and that's all I can ask.

• ?

I just stay out of conversations regarding religion. If asked, I say "I have nothing to say regarding that". No more explanations. No one can make you talk about a subject if you are not willing to.