Chea. asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

Any risks from buying gift cards on Craigslist?

Just anything I should look out for?

Update:

I mean I would check balance but let's say the amount was verified, is there still any risk? I'm afraid of them somehow spending the money before I get to use it (like writing down the card # beforehand?)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • CatDad
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes...I wouldn't take the risk...there are simply too many scams Craigslist. As stated below, the cards are likely to be stolen or they have a zero value.

You'd be better off on eBay buying from a reputable seller with an established,confirmed history as a seller.

• Dan B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Gift cards offered for sale on Craigslist are more likely stolen and have no value. The card may have timed out due to monthly inactivity fees. The card may have been used up on the sellers purchases.

If you can't meet the seller face-to-face locally, it's guaranteed to be a fraud. It isn't worth the risk. Instead of getting a $25 card for $15, you wold be out $40 - the original $25 card you expected to get and wanted plus the $15 you lost because the card was worthless.

You can check on the cards validity. Call the 800 number on the back of the card in the presence of the seller. Be aware of their easiness or lack of it due to nervousness as you make your call on your cell phone in their presence.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

how are you going to check the balance unless you meet the person AT the store the card is good at? - and even then - if you don't use it right away - the seller could copy down all the info and use it online before you get a chance to

• 1 decade ago

they could be useless, fake, etc. how could you possibly verify the amount before the person gave it to you?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

hello

If you want to get 100% free gift card,

Visit

http://giftcardshere.info/

I think that will help

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes, you probably won't get them

• 1 decade ago

how would you know if they have money on them?

• 1 decade ago

I wouldn't do that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.