Does anybody else think that Charles Taylor is a dumb name for an evil dictator?

Why can't he have something that sounds evil and hate-filled? Charles Taylor sounds like the name of a regular guy. Like Captain Kill or Adolph Hussein or something?

Favorite Answer

In the 1890s, Adolph Hitler was an innocuous name. Had he been admitted to the art schools that he had applied to it's likely that nobody would have ever known his name outside of his family and the typical small circle of friends that most folks have. His artwork was nothing special though formal training may have helped him pursue that dream.

Timothy McVeigh is an ordinary sounding name as well. In fact, I served with a Timothy McVeigh in the early 1980s who was no relation to the infamous namesake. Unfortunately for him he bore more than a passing resemblance to the OKC bomber.

Harold Shipman, Gary Ridgway, Donald Harvey, Charles Cullen, Paul Knowles, and John Gacy all sound ordinary but all were serial killers.

Our Congressman for about 16 years (I'm going from memory, not "googling it") - here in the 11th District of North Carolina was also named "Charles Taylor." He is a real as$wipe of a crook. A lumber baron. A corrupt, mean, hateful conservative.

I got a real kick out of this other "Charles Taylor" being all over the news the past few years.

• dianee

i think 'kill' definitely puts the scare tactic in it. hussein, well, we just grew accustom to the name and associated with evilness. i guess charles taylor sounds too everyday common. idk. just my opinion. if youre looking for an evil name try damien, dracula, satan.