do you think the 'food stamp' program should be altered slightly?

i was never a grocery shopper..my aunt can spend half a day exploring and tasting and reading labels..its an adventure for this 84 yr old that loves to eat. it was always in and out quick for me. my mother can no longer shop because of her dementia [she would come back home with a strange assortment]. now i read the flyer..study it and make decisions like a stock market analyst. if its not on sale...i don't buy it.i'm pretty pleased with myself shopping on senior day and using coupons and asking the 'butcher' what the best deal is.....i noticed a few days ago ..a woman in line that was heavy with long hair and a daughter with the same description. the conveyor belt was laden with beef,beef and more beef. steaks,roasts and big slabs of 2 inch beef,cakes,pies,cookies and pastries and a couple of cases of [pricey] bottled water....no fruit,no veggies and i thought..g-d please forgive me...food stamps! sure enough the register flat screen said food stamps 185.00$. my concern is that don't you think that the policy should be fruit,veggies,limited meat and grains? and if needing sweets..let people bake them...am i being insensitive?.i feel for the child..she was so heavy.i know that many people do not abuse the system but i see so many follow in the foot steps of the beef cake lady. i know carbs are filling but i usually see lots of processed food..and why should the government pay for chips and soda. we all need food treats...but boy..do i see unhealthy eating for people receiving assistance.

i have no idea what this womans 'food stamp' monthly amount was! could be more..you dont have to spend it all at once..its like a debit card now. this comment was posted as some think her monthly allowence was 185.00..i was just looking at the bizarre selection of food she chose for a woman that is supposed to feed her family on assistance..and believe fruit veggie,grains and select meat should be the requirement by gov. standards

Favorite Answer

The food stamp program needs to be overhauled greatly. With bar codes on all the items, many can be excluded. Like soda, pastries and potato chips. The biggest problem is that most of those using food stamps won't cook. How hard is it to bake potatoes, make rice or boil an egg? How hard is it to heat a can or a frozen bag of vegetables? We send flour, rice and cooking oil overseas to starving people who fight over them. My parents went to Romania with a relief mission and when they gave a bag of sugar to a woman, she made them stay until she came back with her arms full of flowers to thank them. She cut all the flowers in her garden.

Could I feed a family on $185 a month? You d--mned well better believe I can. They'll be eating meat loaf with eggs in it instead of steak. Plenty of potatoes and rice. Roast chicken with chicken salad sandwiches the next day and chicken soup the day after. Oatmeal with milk and sugar and a boiled egg for breakfast. No soda, no candy. I was in a group that had a retreat one weekend a year and I fed them a good breakfast on eggs, flour, whole milk, butter to fry it in and cheap jams and syrup for toppings. Up to 40 or 50 people. I did it myself, all of the cooking, and I'm a man. Protein, carbs, dairy...it was a complete and nutritious breakfast and everybody loved it.

Decades ago, my mother and her friend took advantage of a mail-in offer that would give a week's menu according to what your budget was. People today, especially the filthy ones, don't even know what a budget is. My mother, feeding five, got a reasonable menu. It was heavy on things like meat loaf, mashed potatoes and spaghetti. Her friend was told that it was impossible to feed her family on so little money, but she had been doing it for years. That was in the 1960s and they didn't get food stamps.

These people need to be starved into learning how to take care of themselves. First, take away the sugar unless it's in a bag. I grew up with Kool-aid and home made lemonade and iced tea. We even drank reconstituted powdered milk because it was cheaper. Second, only the cheapest meat. Steak is for those who are successful, and if you're using food stamps you haven't been successful. Third, no bottled water. I can go farther but if these people starve under such mild constraints it's their own fault and good riddance.

• Jean

Almost anyone qualifies for food stamps. What they may do is give your boyfriend more, not really sure how that works because although you live in the same house and I'm guessing he's paying most of the bills they will need to know that information, but the thing is he's not responsible in anyway to your well being so you may apply separately from him, which would give you more benefits including things like rent and electric and heating bills. I'm all for everyone and anyone to suckle on the government teats during 0bamas administration, the American people need a hard lesson. Ok so I got a thumbs down, but what would people rather have, rich people making lots of money and hiring others to do the work, or EVERYONE unemployed and taxing what money the Rich have, regardless if they themselves made any money that year... but that is the road we are headed. Other countries are now STEALING money out of peoples bank accounts.... think it can't happen here lol

• Holly

Yes! It should have some items off-limits just like the WIC program has. Only certain foods qualify. That means no sugar-laden cereals, soda, potato chips, candy, etc. The way it is now is ridiculous.

I might add that many times I could have used a little help, but I was working 3 jobs trying to feed the kids and I made a few dollars too much to qualify for help. Many people who could use a little boost can't get a crumb while others who won't do anything for themselves except have more kids get all the help and more. I was paying in tax dollars so they could buy chips and soda, and we were eating noodles and milk...and it tasted good.

It might be nice for the government to provide classes, or at least publications to food stamp users to explain about nutrition and how to make their food stamps go a long way. I have noticed that a lot of people in my community buy fruits and vegetables at farmer's markets and some have huge home gardens. Maybe they do not need to buy those items at grocery stores.

I have wondered about how families that are homeless are able to prepare meals without a kitchen. Where would they store food or cook it? The whole problem of poverty is so complex that I suspect that people are struggling to manage one way or another.

Do you suppose that some of the items that woman was buying were going to be traded to friends or family members in exchange for things she cannot purchase with her food stamps, such as soap, bleach, bathroom tissue, toothpaste and other necesities?

It might be a good thing for our government to ask those in need what could be done to improve the system. Those people might agree with you about the quality of food they should be providing their families and have some good ideas about how that can be accomplished.

Life must be very hard for those families. I hope there are solutions that will work.

I could do very well on $185.00 a month for food, as I cook my own food, make my own sweets, make coleslaw, beans, cornbread, and I too know of people who abuse the system. Commodities was the best way to go with this. I also buy what is on sale. If it is not cheap, I do not buy it, and I just think of all the grocery stores throw out when it is rotten because of the high price and no one is buying it.

• -

I think they should have never have replaced the commodity program with food stamps. Go back to basic commodities, good basic foods to build a meal on. If a person is really hungry they will learn to cook with them and not complain.

I've taken someone shopping with their food stamps and they bought cuts of meat that I couldn't afford to buy on a regular basis (other steaks were on sale but they wanted the expensive ones) plus convenience and junk food items.

I have been on food stamps before and it's no picnic. People look at you differently when you whip out the Bridge Card. We ate good when we received food stamps, but it would have been nice to be able to buy toilet paper, laundry soap, etc.

I agree with Laurie. Most people on food stamps do not want to be there, if you know what I mean. We used food stamps last summer when we had no money. I believe we got close to $400 a month, which was way too much, though. Now that we do have an income, we still get food stamps in the amount of $16 per month. We use them, as every little bit helps. I have a pantry full of canned vegetables, flour, sugar, coffee, salt and other non-perishable goods, from our time on food stamps. I'm not proud of being on food stamps, but nobody has the right to tell other people what they can or can't use them for.

• ?

The reason they are allowed to buy all kinds of food is if you limited it to organic or even healthy food, that is much more expensive and the food stamps would not go as far. $185 a month for even one person is too little.

• Laurie

I was a grocery checker and made sure that none of my customers using food stamps were subjected to embarrassment by me or anyone in my line. Most people on food stamps, don't want to be there and the circumstances in their lives made in necessary to use them. If course there are abusers of the system, but I must say that most are not.

I, nor does anyone else have the right to tell a person the quality, or choice of food they eat. It is up to the parent and medical professionals to educate this mom on her health and the health of the child. It is sad that this child is obese but I doubt that the food stamps and the pastries are the cause. It is the amount eaten, not the food itself. In addition, many families are not allotted enough food stamps to make it through the month. Can you imagine feeding a family on $185 a month?