Luke asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicBlues · 1 decade ago

SH2 pickup in alder guitar?

Ok I have one of those epiphone sg310 I think is what it's called, and I love everything about how the guitar feels in my hands, and I want to put decent pickups in it. I've been looking at the SH2 (Jazz) and SH4 (JB) seymour duncan pickup set. The reviews all seem to be amazing but they also seem to unanimously say they're very bright. I generally would play out of the neck, but I would have the JB for anything heavier if the situation called. This is like the only sg in the world that is made of alder apparently but I was curious as to how bright pickups would sound in a bright wood. Anyone have any insight? A local guitar tech said he dropped them in a crappy bc rich guitar and it made worlds of difference. I don't play anything very heavy. It's either clean or light tube gain through my egnater tweaker for a warm bluesy sound. I also like this set because it has the option to coil split both of the pickups, which I would do via push pull pots.

Any advice, suggestions, or knowledge would be amazing.

Favorite Answer

They will sound great in your guitar. But I'm an Epiphone dealer and I've seen or even heard of an Epi SG made of Alder. Who told you it was made of Alder? According to Epiphone. All the G series guitars are made of mahogany. Either way, they will sound great. I have them installed on my HH Stratocaster (which is Alder) and my Les Paul (which is mahogany). They'll sound phenominal in either. Especially through your Egnater.

Go with them,they sound great.