Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How do you become a responsible dog breeder?

Do not reply with, ADOPT..or I will report you. I have adopted, but that's beyond the point.

I would like to know how one becomes a responsible dog breeder vs. a BYB. etc.

I see so many criticized...so what exactly are the steps to becoming the perfect breeder? :)

Favorite Answer

I don't know about 'perfect'!!!

I can only tell you how I started. I bought what turned out to be very much a pet male of the breed I wanted. I joined the Breed Club, and started taking him to a few little shows - he wasn't bought as anything other than a pet, but I thought he was truly wonderful, and what the heck. I soon discovered he wasn't 'all that' in terms of winning in the ring (he hated it in any case). Having joined the Breed Club, I met up with a lady who had a lovely puppy, and eventually decided I'd like a second dog, and she allowed me to have pick of the males from her next litter, which I persuaded her to repeat (same male to the same dam) so I'd have the chance of getting one just like her puppy. I had to wait of course. Turned out he wasn't at all like her puppy, but he was showable, and eventually made his Championship - although by then we'd moved from the UK to Canada. The bug had bitten, and I bought a b itch puppy (imported from the UK, similarly bred to my second male). I was going to mate her to him, but in the meantime (this was 4 years down the road) realised he wasn't right for her, and when the time was right to mate her, went to a completely outside stud. I bred my first litter 7 years from buying my first dog!!

BYBs breed any old dog to any old b itch with the main objective being MONEY. Responsible breeders, on the other hand, don't expect to make money - they are usually quite happy to have a good new puppy to carry on their bloodline/show. If they break even on a litter, that's a bonus!! And the homes their surplus puppies go to are always more important than the money they might take for each puppy.

In brief.

• 12345

I agree there is no such thing as a "perfect" breeder. And there are no exact steps to becoming a good one. The key to being a good breeder is knowledge.

Responsible breeders spend years learning the breed. They get involved in the breed club, showing or working their dogs. They learn the genetics behind the breed, the lines of the breed and every and anything else to do with the breed. They will find someone to mentor them. They participate in breedings long before they ever plan their own. That is why people on here say anyone asking a question about breeding on YA is a BYB. A good breeder simply would have that type of knowledge before ever breeding. And, no, it is not possible to know everything, but if they do have a legit question, they go to reliable resources like their vet or breeding mentor, not a bunch of random strangers on the internet who may or may not have ever even owned a dog.

Most start out similar to Mamabas, that is having a few dogs before ending up with a breedworthy one. Chances are the first dog you purchase won't be breedworthy, if it is, its shear luck on your part. Part of being a good breeder is realizing that regardless of the time, money and effort you put into a dog, regardless if it was your intention to breed it, if it isn't breedworthy, you don't breed it. Titles don't mean a dog is breedworthy (they help prove it is but its not the only thing). Neither are champion lines.

choose your breed.

attend events that your breed competes in (showing, dogsports like agility, ScH, FR, field trials, etc.)

LEARN all you can about the breed - its history, purpose, good and bad points, and especially, STANDARDS- faults, disquals, desired traits, and also health issues it may be prone to.

get a mentor- this basically means making a friend who is heavily involved with the breed, who can take you under their wing and teach you. a responsible breeder who proves their dogs. they'll have a lot to say about proving the dogs, ethics of breeding, health and temperament testing, etc.

understand that the fact that a dog is purebred, and registered with a kennel club, does not make it fit to breed- that correct temperament is a key element in breeding, along with the physical traits of the breed.

there is no "perfect" breeder- but there is a huge line between some BYB slapping together two unproven dogs who happen to be purebred and registered, and a person who eats, breathes and sleeps their breed, and strives to make them better by breeding only proven, worthy dogs, and making sure that those who aren't work/show quality are altered, so that they cannot be bred.

-Health testing (OFA or OVC, heart, eyes, hereditary diseases).

-Proving the dogs worthy of breeding (either they are show quality and have achieved their championship title in the ring, or working quality, is bred for a working purpose (not agility or flyball, those are sports, not jobs.)

-Not selling for money.

-Breeding only the best of your stock. Breeding a maximum of once a year.

- Planning expenses (meaning; are you ready to pay 2,000$+ for a healthy litter?)

- Having homes lined up BEFORE the breeding.

And a bunch of other things.