Jesus was born a Jew. Who did the Jews worship? Did he not go to the Jewish synagogue?

Is He not the king of the JEWS?

Update:

wow, I did not know that Jewish people would not even write the word GOD! wow, that is so weird. G-D what in the world is that? they do not even Give Jehovah a title much less a name. I am sick about that, E-GADS! No wonder Jesus was so Mad!

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

Dear me. I'm wondering where to start.

OK, let's assume that Jesus existed and was born a Jew. The Jews worshipped G-d (we'll come to that in a moment, don't get in a flap). He probably attended something resembling a synagogue but most importantly he attended the Temple in Jerusalem.

He was never the 'King' of the Jews. The country was under Roman rule. The stuff about him being King of the Jews was a mockery from the Romans, not an honour from the Jews.

I can assure you that Jesus wasn't bothered about our respect for the name of the divine. We are very careful not to dishonour G-d by inadvertently destroying something on which the name is written; we retain that inner feeling of awe about the ineffable and incorporeal divinity by not writing the name G-d in full either, lest someone eg print out this answer and then destroy it. I don't know why you think there's something wrong with that - just because it's different from your way of thinking doesn't make it absurd.

• 1 decade ago

Jews do not believe that Jesus is the Moshiach (Messiah) because the following have not been fulfilled (at one time on Earth - no second chances!):

* The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26)

* Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4)

* The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)

* He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via King Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8-10)

* The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2)

* Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)

* Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9)

* He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10)

* All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)

* Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8)

* There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)

* All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)

* The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11)

* He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7)

* Nations will end up recognizing the wrongs they did to Israel (Isaiah 52:13-53:5)

* The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23)

* The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55)

* Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)

* The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvot

* He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)

* Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33)

* He will give you all the desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4)

* He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13-15, Ezekiel 36:29-30, Isaiah 11:6-9).

• 1 decade ago

Your additional details already give me a good clue as to where this is going---you are one of those who would rather talk 'at' Jews, frequently insulting us and denigrating our religion and the way we choose to adhere to it, than you would prefer to talk 'with' us in a meaningful, inter-religious discourse. Suffice it to say that we spell "G-d" as a formal convention to show respect, much in the same way that Christians capitalize pronouns refering to their divinity.

No, he was not the "King" of the Jews. Your own New Testament will tell you that that particular title was a final insult that the Romans mockingly gave him. Even if it weren't...that particular line of argument would end up looking like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_zkMEgkI

Youtube thumbnail

As for the other silly argument...I am mystified that *some* people think it makes any logical sense as an argument for Jewish conversion to Christianity. Simply because someone was Jewish and attended synagogue (fyi, synagogues would not have existed when Jesus lived) is not an argument for why he should be worshipped. Lots of Jewish guys do that...I wouldn't worship them.

Peace

• Maci
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

According to the story in the Christian bible, Jesus was born a Jew yes.

The Jews worshiped and worship the G-d of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Judaism, like Islam, is a strictly monotheistic faith. No trinities, no superpowerful evil angels capable of warring with G-d.

There are stories of Jesus going to synagogues in the Christian bible.

Jesus is not the king of the Jews. Never was, never will be.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

answer: No, he was not king of anything. Nothing about the "trial" in the gospels is accurate nor believable if one knows Jewish and Roman culture and laws.

He was born and died a Jew - that didn't make him the Jewish Messiah.

Jews worship G-d and ONLY G-d, G-d does NOT have offspring and is not part of a trinity.

Source(s): "Jehovah" is a bad guess name typing G-d is respectful. He has many names. get over it.
  • "King of the Jews" was the title that the Roman Senate gave Herod I, from Idumea, when they elected him to replace the legitimate king of Israel. (Herod also had the legitimate heir to the throne, just a boy, drowned.)

So that phrase, to 1st century Jewish ears, meant a foreign usurper.

Yet more evidence that neither Jesus nor the Gospels have anything to do with Judaism.

Source(s): Oh we can write God alright. Many of us choose not to as a way of extending a custom involving the Hebrew Name into English. No reason to flip out. 'Jehovah', btw, comes from a mistake a 12th century Dominican monk made while reading Hebrew texts in order to gather ammunition with which to attack Jews. That was a popular activity then, so his book ("Dagger of Faith") was widely read and his mistake repeated. Are you sure you want to ridicule a Jewish custom when you refer to the divine with a term that has such a sordid pedigree?
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jesus was born, lived, taught and died Jewish.

Jews worship the one and only eternal Gd.

There was no such thing as a "synagogue" in his time. There was the TEMPLE. The ONE, only Temple.

That was where he was going when he was executed...you know...turning over the tables of the money lenders on the steps of the Temple.

You see, in the time when the Temple stood in Jerusalem, that was where EVERYONE (who was Jewish, lived in Judea) went three times a year, to worship. Passover is one of the three holidays. See, and one had to be purified, washed, before they could enter and pray/worship, and they had to PAY to go to the ritual bath, and people who were poor had to borrow money (at high interest, by his estimation) in order to do that, and he felt that they were being forced to go deeper into debt in order to do as Gd commanded (pray at the Temple).

It was one of the controversial things he did that got him into trouble with the authorities.

No. He is NOT king of the Jews.

• 1 decade ago

Jesus was ot only a Jew, but a good Jew ...

He respected the Sabbath

he went to Temple

he observed the Seder (the last supper was a Seder meal)

What he was doing was questioning all the rules that Judaism was following - he had no intention of starting a new religion, he wanted people to re-think the one he was born into.

I find it funny, the people Jesus railed at the most were the Pharisees - these were the rules mongers, the ones obsessed with all the minutiae of the religion at the expense of the spirit and morality of the religion - yet today we have so-called faithful justifying their bigotry and close-minded activities by quoting rules and passages from scripture - doing just the sort of the thing that boiled Jesus' blood. Ironic, huh?

• Kevin7
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Jesus is not pat of Jewish belief, We Jews do not believe he was our messiah or king. We usually call our G-d aloud Ha-Shem, i am Jewish

• 1 decade ago

Even pilate admitted that Jesus is "King of the Jews" The reason He is king of the Jews, is because He gave His life for them, and all whether greek, or any other nationality who believe in HIm, that He came to redeem mankind of their sins, a foreshadowing of the Old testament, where they offered an innocent lamb for atonement of sins. Christ became that lamb. Read Isaiah 53

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.