Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

Is an abdominal flat plate x-ray similar to an ultrasound procedure?

I had a Kidneys, Ureter, Bladder (KUB) Abdominal X-ray (Flat Plate of the Abdomen) taken, and I was wondering if it is similar to an ultrasound procedure. Like, does it show the same things an ultrasound would?

Favorite Answer

They are two completely different procedures that will show the doctor different things.

They usually use a KUB x-ray to look for kidney stones. They can also see the air patterns in your abdomen to diagnose certain bowel problems. You can see faint outlines of your liver and kidneys, but you cannot diagnose many conditions from a KUB alone.

If you had a KUB that didn't show anything significant, they will order an ultrasound to further investigate the structures in your abdomen. An ultrasound can find things like stones, cysts, and tumours that the x-ray would have missed. It can also take a better look at all the organs in your abdomen. The ultrasound is much better at detecting pathology in the soft tissue structures.

Source(s): Experience as an x-ray technologist

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): abdominal flat plate ray similar ultrasound procedure: https://tr.im/ChiVP
  • N

Abdominal x-ray has limited use. As previously mentioned it is typically ordered to check for bowel gas patterns to detect intestinal obstruction or free air under the diaphragm indicating perforated viscus. Certain types of stones may be detected.

Abdominal ultrasound is most useful for evaluating the liver and gallbladder, kidneys and bladder and spleen. Most of the other abdominal organs and structures are not well visualized on ultrasound.

If the x-ray is not helpful then a CT scan is usually ordered because it can detect most abdominal problems including kidney or gallstones, intestinal obstructions, pancreas problems, infections, vascular problems etc.

Source(s): PA surgical / trauma critical care I perform bedside ultrasound for kidney evaluation in ICU patients and routinely order radiologic imaging for patients.

In the case of the KUB, it shows radiopaque abnormalities like "stones", and enlarged "shadows" if the kidneys or bladder are enlarged due to blockages or suspicious growths. The KUB is more useful than a sonogram for these structures, a good radiologist can usually establish a diagnosis with a KUB and it is a whole lot less expensive than a CAT scan. A KUB should be the 1st choice diagnostic tool if the patient's symptoms indicate conditions similar to what I mentioned above.

pc

Source(s): My source is my clinical background and my academic degree which is in Pathophysiology.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awlKB

I prefer x-ray. This way you can count puppy skulls. I have found that ultrasound can miss pups because they tend to hid behind each other or behind a organ and you cant see them. In either case there is always the possiblity of a missed pup. One of my dam's I knew was having several pups so I did and x-ray. It was off by 2 pups. Nothing is absolute but I liked counting skulls. I have known other breeders who have done ultra sounds and the puppy count has been way off and some have been pretty accurate so it's up to you.

• cambre

Flat Plate Of The Abdomen

• tuft

Abdomen Kub