Your thoughts on "mandating a law on breastfeeding"?

I just heard this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504744_162-20012670-10...

"In an interview with the UK edition of Harper's Bazaar, the new mom and wife of New England Patriots' quarterback Tom Brady, called for a worldwide law requiring mothers to breastfeed their babies for the first six months of life." about Gisele Bundchen

Favorite Answer

i think its a good thing everyone knows Supermodels are idiots and have no credibility

Absurd. This woman can not expect every woman in the world or just a certain country to breast feed their children. Not all women can do that. My first child lasted 3 weeks. We could never get it to work. I even had the lactation specialist trying to make it work with me. My daughter would have starved if it had been law. I also did with my son for a while but not 6 months. He got the idea better than his sister did but I could not produce enough to keep him filled up. He was wanting to eat every hour and half. You do not have time to replentish after that kind of time frame. I think she needs to read more first on the subject before making a statement like this.

Wow, I disagree with her entirely. Firstly I do think breastfeeding is a great idea, and I fully support encouraging and supporting women to try it. However an intrusive, unenforceable, and practically impossible law is not the right way to go about it.

What about the women who don't make enough milk, have to work to support their offspring and cant pump, die before the child is six months old, are undergoing chemo or other medical treatment that prevents breastfeeding, or have HIV/AIDS, or are otherwise unable to breastfeed? Formula is a fine food for infants, it isn't rat poison.

She's a super model...not a philosopher ...She needs to shut her head and look pretty.

But....

I truly truly believe that if there wasn't such a social stigma about it and that if there was more education about it...more people would do it...which would benefit the babies in question....not to mention the financial implications of breastfeeding vs bottle feeding.

But mandating a law on the subject is retarded.

Eh...She's a new mom...you know how we all get passionate and pig headed and opinionated on things when we have little ones....chalk it up to a "hormonal imbalance."

What about the women who can't for a myriad of reason, children who don't latch, inverted nipples, low milk supply, preemie babies who need neo sure for more calories. As much as I am for breast feeding there are reasons not to not to mention free will and people just plain not wanting to. Yes breast is best but so is having fruits and veggies everyday but people have choices

I am pro-breastfeeding and have breastfed both of my children. I plan to with my third, as well. But mandating a law on breastfeeding? Come on. There are millions of women who don't breastfeed for good reasons. I don't judge. Look at all the normal, healthy children who have grown up formula-fed. This is coming from the woman who said childbirth was "completely painless" and also claims to have had her son potty-trained at 6 months. Clearly she's an idiot.

Well . . . it's all very well her wanting to have such a law but in the real world everyone's situation is different. It's a mothers right to choose which method of feeding they chose for there child. All I know is a mother tried there best to do right by there baby. (in exception for some of course)

• gill79

I think Gisele Bundchen needs to get a grip. We all know the benefits of breastfeeding but let's face it, it's not always a viable option. I gave up after 3 weeks because of the pain and the fact that I was getting depressed by it. Mothers that try and have to give up feel guilty enough.

I'm sure the last thing a new mother with post natal depression needs is to be forced to breastfeed; because that's the kind of situation we're talking about here.

This dim witted idiot should really think before she opens her mouth. Nothing quite like a celeb prattling on about how fantastic they are......

The birth of her child wasn't painful. Well good for her.

She got through it by meditation. Whoopie Doo!!!

'That's why they call it "labour" and not "holiday"' Patronising much?????

It must be great to wake up in your ivory tower every day and know your a supermum.

Personally I'm a great believer in the saying that there's no such thing as a perfect parent.

I don't agree with her even as a breastfeeding mother. I do not know this woman apparently like everyone else does, but from the sounds of it her words were taken way to damn seriously. Why should anyone really give what she says on the matter much thought, not like it's ever going to happen. So why get all worked up over it?

I do find it so odd though that so many are willing to stick up for formula, but at the same time so many bash other parents for not feeding their children "natural" or "organic" foods. So many of the parents here who openly defend formula and that choice also claim to be all "organic" when feeding their family. You can't be both ways, formula is not "natural" or "organic"

Source(s): 14 months still breastfeeding. Still don't agree with her. Pro- Breastfeeding Education.
  • Tigger

I just heard something about that on the news last night. Then one doctor said every mother and baby is different so there is not way it can be done. There are so many variables involved it would be impossible.

This is the same dummy that said her step son is 100% hers. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/03/31/earlysho...

She's an expert in homewrecking (having an affair with a man who is taken and expecting a child,) being gorgeous, being an über step mom and now breastfeeding? What can't she do? I think she should just stand there and look pretty.