Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why don't people understand that atheists don't try to DISPROVE 'god'?

Simple logic tells us that would be impossible, and that the BURDEN OF PROOF is on the claimant.

The one unassailable point that atheists continue to make is THAT THERE IS NO CREDIBLE EVIDENCE for a 'god' or 'gods'.

So, why can't people understand these simple facts and move on into more productive discussions?

Favorite Answer

they do not understand why it's a logical fallacy because they have not thought that far into it.

btw, does anyone else find the term "Christian philosopher" funny? Also, "spiritual" evidence is a bullsh!+ term. Good feelings are not something supernatural and to act otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

EDIT: As for 'I don't believe in God' vs 'There is no God', I cannot 'disprove' Odin to someone hellbent on belief either. I see Yahweh as no different. I'm not saying there is no higher power. I'm just saying there is no Biblical deity.

• ?

I understand that but atheists fail to understand that it is nearly impossible to find physical "proof" for a spiritual being so any evidence that He does exist will simply be ignored by those who wish not to believe..

There is also a difference in say 'I don't believe in God' and "There is no God'. The former indicates you simply don't believe, that latter implies that you have some sort of knowledge, or evidence, that there is no God. Lets face it, most atheists on this board claim simply that there is no God with no facts to back up that assertion..

Well Yelling out on Yahoo Answers that there is no god kinda draws attention to yourself. I am anti religious so don't get me wrong, but your title is "why dont people understand that atheists don't try to disprove god" and you go on in your details about how there in no "logical god".

pretty distasteful.

That would cause them to think and you would have exploding heads all over the place.

Because there arrogant Atheists that DO try to disprove God. I've met many of them.

People don't understand the logical fallacy behind it. You can't prove a negative.

When you don't agree with people, they automatically assume that you are trying to sell them another viewpoint.

As atheists we recognize that denying the claims of one position is not automatic support for another... They don't get that.

• i know, its quite frustrating people of faith believe the burden of proff should be on us when they blindly follow something

Seems to me your the one who wants to discuss it.

You can not prove something does not exist.