Bells - Beach Bums asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Parenting and Dog Training?

Do you think both go hand in hand? As in, how you discipline your kids and how you train / discipline your dogs are similar?

Example..I am not against punishment and a good ol' butt whooping when needed with the kids. I'm actually FOR it...same for my dog. If I need to correct him with a prong/chocke b/c he's behaving like a little demon ... I have no problems with that.

If you have both, kids and dogs, is the way you approach discipline similar?

LEGIT: Random question based on something I observed recently:

Your dog is loose. Takes off running and approaches the neighbor's property. They have electrical fencing for their rather LARGE mutt. Both dogs start barking, hackles up...whole nine yards. What would your dog do?

---approach the random dog and cause a fight

---bark and retreat

@TJ....I wasnt insinuating that the two methods are identical ;) lol

Just the way the situation is viewed. I dont have the patience for "babiying", repeating the same thing 7 times, or making sure that "feeling arent hurt". That is applied to both dogs and kids.

Is there a Dr. Spock for dogs? Please tell me its not Ceasar

**feelings

ADD: to the legit question.

Murphy was chasing Bambi yesterday (2 small deer). It was just interesting to see him in that situation. Both dogs barked and looked threatening. Mine ran back to me after a minute or so...and the other dog didnt charge or try to attack either.

@ Dee Dawg. I live in the woods, so technically it was still my yard. I'm not comfortable in letting Murphy wander around w/o a leash, but he happened to be w/o it and saw deer running around...stuff happens ;)

Favorite Answer

Well I don't have kids - my significant other says he thinks I would be harder on my kids than I would be on the dog lol. I agree to an extent.

I mean my child's livelihood will be based on how I raise them and if and when I decide discipline needs to come into action. Letting my dog get away with something he is not supposed to do is a whole lot different than letting my kid get away with something - humans can make poor judgement, can harm themselves in multiple ways, can leave the house at a certain age on their own free will - dogs can't really do any of that. Does that make sense?

I do use corrections with my dog - and when I have kids, depending on the individual child, I will be okay with giving them a spank if needed.

We were talking about this the other day actually, me and my friends - to make the comparison, there are kids who can be stubborn and dominant and kids who are non-confrontational and submissive. I wouldn't discipline both kids the same way because the latter probably wouldn't need a good spank. Same with dogs - if I had a little submissive dog, I wouldn't train it the same way I train the dog I have now.

Legit: If the dog comes at Quattro, Quattro's response is always fight and not flight. If it starts with him but doesn't approach him, Quattro usually will just give the dog a bunch of crap vocally and then leave.

• Remdog

Sortof. I think a lot of the things dogs need to be happy and healthy, kids need, too. Structure, rules, boundaries, consistency and reinforcement are all essential for dogs and for kids. I also have a generally "unless I see blood, everyone's OK" approach. It's insane too, what trends you see and how they're the same for kids and dogs. I was at the pharmacy the other day where two kids were running around, grabbing stuff off the shelves, and being brats. Their grandfather, who was behind me in line, said "I'm pretty sure those kids don't even know the meaning of the word 'No.'" Likewise, walking my dog the other day, we were rushed by a golden who was barking aggressively and running at my dog. Remi will NOT tolerate that from other dogs, particularly when he's on a leash. The owner came over and said "Oh, ___ You found a friend! Aw look, their friends!"

WTF? Growling, tails and hackles up does not mean friends. These two events literally happened within hours of each other- similarities?

Legit: I'm not sure. Remi would probably stand his ground until the other dog moved. If the other dog took so much as a step forward, it would probably escalate. He might bark, but I don't think he's retreat, unfortunately. We're working on his tolerance!

As a person who has instructed many dog training classes for youth an d adults, I can tell you that both go hand in hand. Parents with well behaved outgoing children have well behaved outgoing dogs no matter what breed. Both the children and the dogs learn the rules and expectations through consistency. The parents and owners have taught the children and dogs understandable discipline and corrections for poor behavior. They properly praise and reward good behavior. they do not give many grey areas as to proper behavior. They are fair and and consistent in the use of their methods.

Any more, I can tell the success of an owner in training class by the behavior of their children if any.

Legit: One of my dogs would want to play. She would show this behavior by play bowing and barking. The other two would just ignore the other dog. All would come back to my whistle. I too contend with many "Bambis" in and around my yard. The deer are thick this year. Sadly so are the mountain lions.

Source(s): old balanced trainer

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://bitly.im/aMC7Q

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

• T J

"well i use positive reenforce ment... i will make a noise or say "no" loud and bold if hes doing something wrong."

LMAO !! making a noise or saying "NO" is positive punishment, not positive reinforcement.

Sure glad that kids know all there is to know about Operant Conditioning these days

:-)

The problem is that you can sit a child down and explane to them why something is wrong -- the method doesn't work all that well with a dog.

However; Dr Spock is a theory, not a law.

edit:

"Is there a Dr. Spock for dogs? Please tell me its not Ceasar"

ya, Edward Thorndike, John Watson, and B. F. Skinner (ie; Operant Conditioning)

edit:

"Murphy was chasing Bambi yesterday (2 small deer). It was just interesting to see him in that situation. Both dogs barked and looked threatening. Mine ran back to me after a minute or so...and the other dog didnt charge or try to attack either."

geez, a Beagle that hasn't been "trash broken" would have chased that bambi all the way to the next county.

• Coley

I raise my children and train my dogs in much the same manner. I can usually tell what type of parents people are based upon their dog or vice versa. I am very consistent (typically) with both my children and my dogs. For my kids I give them a verbal warning that i do not like their behavior (and why if it deems fit) followed by a correction (time out, spanking, additional job etc depending on the situation) I simply do not talk twice. Same with my dogs...command followed by correction, if the command is blown. My 5 yr old son is going through a demon stage. Gets me frustrated. I made the joke the other night that if he were a dog he would be tethered to me or crated at all times, thus inhibiting his chances of sneaking off and getting into trouble. haha.

Legit~ My AB would stand with chest out, tail high acting very bold. However, she would be pretty insecure (just a pup) but try really hard not to show it. Thus, causing a fight response from the other dog. I think she would probably not step down and get her @ss whooped...not sure tho? My Cavs...would never bark and growl back...they would merely ignore the other dog or bark/run away :p

• Yes, I do think I approach discipline in the same way for both kids and dogs.

I don't have kids. At this point in time, I'm not sure I want any in the future.

When I was growing up, my mom NEVER resorted to physical punishment aka hitting, punching, slapping, spanking, etc. She believed that trust is far more important than having your kid fear you. All kids are individuals, (What works for one, may not work for another.) but I believe that you should never raise a hand to your children. I was raised successfully WITHOUT physical punishment. To this day, I have a great relationship with my mom! I don't fear or hate her for memorable physical punishments because there were none!

Don’t get me wrong, my mom did NOT use the ignore method. There were groundings, loss of privileges, time outs, verbal warnings and writing lines. She was always fair and picked the appropriate punishment out of the ones above.

I do NOT approve of today’s kids! I DO think parenting has gone down the drain! Like I said above, I don’t believe that anyone should still be using the spanking crap, but today’s parents just stand back and do NOTHING!

It’s pitiful! You can’t even say “Johnny and Michael stop doing that” no, you have to “invite” them or “ask” them to stop! If you TELL them to stop their “self esteem” might be hurt! Now THAT is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard! And people wonder why suddenly there’s an epidemic of bratty kids! That’s because we cannot raise our voices, TELL them what they can and cannot do and say words like “Stop” and “No!”

Now with my dog, I don’t use physical punishment. Obviously, I can’t issue “time outs” and things like that, but I can get my point across verbally and with a collar correction when I need too. Changing the tone of my voice is one of the easiest ways to get my point across. I don’t classify corrections as physical punishment. Prong and choke collars aren’t painful or harmful when used properly unlike a good slap which is going to hurt.

Legit: First, my dog would never be running loose. But if it did happen, she’d probably bark ferociously and run for her life. If the other dog approached her than she would fight because she’d feel like she has no other choice.

• Sheri

Very interesting question Bells !!

Just got called into work for a few hours but will definitely answer when I get back.

Back.. :)

I didn't have to ponder this question very long.

I have never raised a hand to my children or to any of my pets. Not to say that I hadn't thought about it at times however, I think that you get a great response by showing respect as the leader or being the head of the household than by fear of getting into trouble.

I found that simply telling my children that I was disappointed in them did far more than screaming would have and for my dogs I simply used the ignore technique and saying no, which in both cases has always worked well for me.

Of course in both children and dogs, at some point they will try and test the waters by doing something they shouldn't but I always stand my ground. Respect is a high priority for me and I will not waiver. I treat people and animals as I would like to be treated.

Legit:

I personally don't like electric invisible fencing due to the fact of other people's dog can come on to the property, but....

My dogs I think would try and go after the dog/s. Although that would have to be when no walked on a lead. There is never a time that would even be considered. I like to have mine under my control at all times.

I prefer an electric collar with a long range for kids, but that's just me. ;) No really, I think a similar but modified program for kids is an excellent idea. I tend to think raising dogs and kids to behave they you want them to is very similar.....both dogs and kids needs rules, consistency, a strong yet fair leader/parent and they need to understand that their behavior has consequences. It's really not all that different in the 'training' department. Obviously kids need more nurturing whereas dogs are just happy to get a pat on the head and a treat but both kids and dogs learn from having to earn what they get through good behavior and receiving consequences for bad behavior. Ever notice how people with well behaved kids usually have well behaved dogs and vice versa? It's because they understand the importance of rules and consistency with both kids and dogs.

• Chetco

I believe that our philosophies are similar, even if methods are far different.

I don't raise my voice, nor my hand to a child, a horse or a dog.

I have never found a reason to.

I am a quiet and non-violent person, and a communicator.

I can always find a better way to communicate than smacking or screaming.

For me, it is a challenge to find the most effective communication.

I have raised 21 foster children, plus 2 of my own. For many years, we always had seven children in living in our home. Children listen to me, and have never been disrespectful. I used to be our church's children's minister, and worked for another children's outreach, as well as being the director of YKids, after-school day care, in the early 1980's.

NEVER has a child shown disrespect or spoken rudely to me..Not even my own kids.

I am pretty much the same with dogs. I have worked with well over 300 dogs, of all breeds and ages.

I speak very softly, and dogs pay attention and strive to please.

I am the same with horses, and get amazing results.

It's all about finding the right motivators and learning to communicate.

Added:My Afghans have little interest in other dogs, so wouldn't approach or react to them. I have never seen their hackles up. hmm..( do they even have hackles?) My little dogs wouldn't leave my yard.