What will happen if I upload a full movie to youtube?

It's a movie that's already on DVD so it's not like its illegal... but is it? Even if I include that I don't own anything can I still get in trouble on youtube? How much trouble could I get into? Does it matter whether it's an old movie or new? Any answers would help...

• Den B7
    Favorite Answer

1) It is illegal - it's copyrighted

2) Putting a disclaimer like, "I don't own it" means nothing

3) It doesn't matter if it's old or new

4) How much trouble can you get into for violating copyrights? Look below:

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/07/27/3076892-j...

BOSTON — A federal jury on Friday ordered a Boston University graduate student who admitted illegally downloading and sharing music online to pay $675,000 to four record labels.

Joel Tenenbaum, of Providence, R.I., admitted in court that he downloaded and distributed 30 songs. The only issue for the jury to decide was how much in damages to award the record labels.

Under federal law, the recording companies were entitled to $750 to $30,000 per infringement. But the law allows as much as $150,000 per track if the jury finds the infringements were willful. The maximum jurors could have awarded in Tenenbaum's case was $4.5 million.

Jurors ordered Tenenbaum to pay $22,500 for each incident of copyright infringement, effectively finding that his actions were willful.

• ?

Buying the DVD does not mean you have the right to upload copyrighted material. There is a 15 minute limit to uploading videos to youtube as well. It will get flagged and taken down if you upload a movie.

• Mav

It's still copyrighted even though you bought the dvd. Also there is a 15min video limit unless you are a You Tube partner. Sorry not happening! There are sites with full movies such as "Hulu",but I don't believe you can upload to them.

• I'm pretty sure it will be removed, and I have no idea how much trouble you could get into, but I wouldn't recommend it, sounds like you could get in lots of trouble that they would either suspend your account, or close it. O.o