Can you learn guitar without lessons?

I cant afford lessons. I really wanna learn to play though. Is it possible to do it without lessons? Ive had a short guitar class waaaaay back in middle school but we basically learns to pluck strings, and ive had piano class multiple times... wasn't that great at it i didn't like piano. So anyway, is it possible to learn without lessons? and wat r the best ways to learn to play without payin someone else to teach u. Id love to hear from other experience.

Favorite Answer

yes but you should take lessons

• Kab

Learning the Guitar

You need a course of instruction.

The best way is with a private teacher

2nd would be class lessons

3rd regularly get together with other guitar players

or if you absolutely will or cannot do the above, Buy a book on how to play the guitar and follow it religiously. Make sure you are having constant contact with other players.

Last would be to find some free online lessons and skip around in them doing what YOU think you want to do next.

Guitar is one of the world’s most popular instruments.

It is easy to take with you.

It has a sound that people like.

It can be use in almost any type of music.

Almost anyone can learn to play it.

Simple music is easily played after only a few days or weeks.

You can continue to learn new and challenging music forever.

the answer is YES, no problem. I did it myself, i've been playing for about 5 years now. I went to a couple of lessons but i didn't really get anything out of them, so i decided to save my money. I bought a guitar soloing TAB instruction book (as it teaches scales, theory, practice exercses etc) and followed it til the end. Sometimes i got bored of the book and just learned some songs i like, such as stairway to heaven, enter sandman etc. The book i used was "Guitar soloing: the contemporary guide to improvisation" by Hal Leonard.

My advice is to buy that book, and a cheapish guitar and amp package for about £100 (or $150), and play for about 6 months. If you find you're making progress and enjoying it, then shop around for a better guitar. If you decide to pack it in, at least you haven't wasted too much money. One other good buy is an electronic tuner, as it's the easiest way for a beginner to keep the guitar in tune.

The other way to do it is just to look up chord charts and lessons online, that works too.

Good luck :)

Learn to play the guitar from your own house or apartment with the Jamorama online program for guitar that you will think it is here https://tr.im/eIob7 .

One of the exciting and helpful featuring you will discover in the Jamorama course could be the "Jam Trails ".As you go through the lessons, they provide you with sheet audio to a tune, and then 2 sound songs to go with the song.

The 1st sound track could have the guitar part inside (so you can hear how it's likely to sound), and one other music track has the tune with the guitar eliminated (so you can play with your self!)

They organize the Jam Tracks in an exceedingly straightforward manner.

Jam Trails is one among the countless things from Jamorama that will make understanding the guitar simple even for the newcomers (especially if you do not have a guitar teacher there to assist you whenever you produce mistakes).

• Adam D

Yes, you can learn on your own. It's best if you try to find a teacher and get lessons, even if it's for just a month, which should be something like $75. But you still have books, DVD's, magazines, TAB's, online lessons and youtube video's.

Sure, I know a lot of people who have taught themselves to play the guitar. And they're pretty good! You should go onto Youtube and search for "how to play guitar for beginners" videos. They should help. Once you learn the basics you should buy some sheet music to learn how to play.

Good Luck! :)

you can but you have to teach yourself things you wouldnt know like music theory, you have to do a bit of research and LEARN. The thing is its very hard to know what to look for if you dont know it, but I am sure you can find free lessons online. Dont just play songs learn scales and theory. Look up good practice exercises and stick to it, thats the only way.

Yes!

Me and my pals in our country play guitars very well, and thanks to our country's low economy rates, we were unable to get music lessons. Nearly 60% of our whole school plays guitar with distinction without any lessons.

We thought each other verbally and by practical knowledge sharing time. And thanks to the Internet we can also teach ourselves during holidays or when not in contact.

I'm not sure whether my life experience thought you anything, but its a tryout. Good luck.

• SKCave

Yes it is. I'm completely self taught, and I started way before the internet was even though of. There are books of chords, and maybe you can pick things up from friends. Lots of practice and the pain in your fingers will go away !!

Hope this helps

Source(s): Guitarist for over 45 years

Statistics show that 90% of people who try to teach themselves guitar fail in the attempt. However, with enough determination and persistence you just might make it. Good luck.

Source(s): Pro guitarist

there are many people out there who doubt that they have the ability to play guitar, so let me tell you right away: your hands aren’t too big or too small, you’re not too young or too old, and it doesn’t matter if you want to play electric or acoustic. Read here https://tr.im/7Aq5U

Everyone has their own challenges, but I’m confident that if you practice and put your mind to it, you can play the guitar.