Pip
Pip asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

Girls names: Faith or Phoebe?

Which name do you prefer? (As a first name)

Faith or Phoebe

Please explain your answer and give any other details you would like about the two names. For example: Why you like or dislike the names? Do you know anyone with these names? Are they on your lists? And so on...

:-)

• #@%
    Favorite Answer

I like Phoebe a lot more, for a couple reasons.

First of all, it's all around a gorgeous name and everything about it is perfect! It isn't too common, yet familiar. It's not something you hear very often, which is a huge plus. I personally know no one with the name. It possesses childish charm, but as well as that, it has a sophisticated side. I can imagine the name suiting an adult just as nicely as it could suit a child. Very wearable and feasible when it comes to who I can imagine it on...so I can imagine it on a wide range of people. Phoebe's on my list as a middle name, but I feel it has the possibility to be stunning in either the first or middle name slot.

Also, I'm not big on virtue names, and Faith happens to be one of my least favorites. I actually have a very good friend called Faith, but for some reason I could never get myself to like the name. I suppose because of her, I've softened up to it a bit, but I truly dislike it. Something about it sounds so tacky to me, and I'm not sure why. I've tried countless times to like it, it just isn't happening haha. However, I do prefer it as a first name as opposed to a middle due to its popularity as a middle name. As a middle name, it strikes me as so filler.

I like Faith more, and its not that I dislike Phoebe but I feel like it wouldn't age well with the child. When someone tells me they know someone named Phoebe, or their name is Phoebe I automatically think of a little girl. But with Faith as a child they could be called Faithie or just Faith, and when they are older they will be Faith also and it will still sound well on an adult. Faith is on my name list for sure. My friends middle name is Faith and I love it, and my friends younger sisters name is Phoebe.

I really like Phoebe... Infact I think Phoebe Faith sounds nice as a combo...

Phoebe is on my list, but I can never use it cause its already (distantly) in the family. Faith isn't my kind of name as a first name, it sounds too short and simple (I think its cause its only 1 syllable). But I do like it as a middle name. I also think one syllable names are so much harder to find nice middle names to match

• Aga

I LOVE Phoebe!

I love the meaning - bright/brilliant.

The sound is gorgeous and it is not too popular but well enough known.

I know two Phoebes. One is talented at everything from horse riding

to sewing and she is also attractive in body and heart.

The other one is a ten year old who is very clever and confident.

Phoebe is on my fab.forty list.

Faith is also a fine name. The sound is more bland to me and the meaning

seems less adventurous. The name Faith is safer but not my favourite.

Phoebe seems a bit old-fashioned. Faith, i never really liked that name :/ Seemed a bit snotty to me. But maybe because this girl who i used to know back in elementary school had that name and she was kind of snotty. lol but If i had to choose....Phoebe :)

I rather Phoebe. Faith is so over-used now.

i like faith more. its just girly and unique.

the name phoebe reminds me of a dogs name

I like both. I think Faith is very girly and sophiscated however.