Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHorse Racing · 1 decade ago

My horse is tense...?

I have a 14 year old stock horse, he's a good boy but he's so serious! When I got him (about 4 or 5 months ago) he was really nervous with me and everyone else. I spent a lot of time sacking him out so he's alright with me now. I still get that neck arch thing when I approach him but he soon settles down. The problem is he's not calm with anyone else. He's particuarly nervous around men. I think the only thing that stops him doing anything dangerous is his dicipline. He's incredibly well mannered. I can just see that he's freaking out. He's good to shoe, float and ride, but he's not relaxed until well into these things. I'd like to see him calm down a little more, but I haven't been able to get him any further along than I have already.

He's thrown one bloke tried to ride him, but I've never had him misbehave with me. He really doesn't like that man, and I wouldn't have let him ride him if I were there. As soon as he hit the saddle my horse just flipped apparently.

Any suggestions? He's had bowen therapy to help him relax and I think that really helped, but I'm a bit stuck now. Should I keep sacking him out? I can do nearly anything with him in about 15 minutes, I just want him a bit less worried generally. Do you think it's just his temperament?

• Azeri
    Favorite Answer

I do know that type well. He's undoubtedly been harshly handled by some guy in the past, but instead of acting aggressively he internalizes his anxiety and fear.

He needs more time, with only you handling and riding him. Don't sack him out again, if he understood and accepted the process. Just be consistently fair and firm with him. He's 14, so has 14 or so years of wrong handling to "forget." You've only had him a few months. Be patient, kind but not permissive. Bowen and other massage should help. Don't feed sweet feed or any other simple sugar containing feeds. Lots of good forage and little to no grain. Also b-vitamins tend to help anxious horses. Smart-pak equine has a supplement that's supposed to help. I've never needed to try it.

If you are female, then your horse could be afraid of men. In the past, a man could have been abusive towards him and he has remembered that. But that's just a possibility. I think by the sounds of things, it sounds likely that he has been mistreated by a man or men in the past.

If you have any male friends, or anyone at the yard who is a man, you could get them to help you groom your horse and show him that it is nothing to be afraid of.

it all depends on his past , from the sounds o it the only reason he is edgy is because he could had been abused by males and maybe because of bad experience he finds it hard to trust others , it happens to humans too if something bad happens it could take them a while to start trusting again.

just go easy on him wait a while and give him all your attention don't force the horse to do anything he don't want to or dislikes (letting males mount him) .

it could be a permanent thing or temp . but do you know of this horses history like it's previous owners?

I know a horse named Mendo. He's tense around everyone but me and his owner Jill. He is absolutely pushy and grumpy with everyone else especially men. There's nothing you can really do but let him get used to others. This could take a long time.

You can do nearly anything with him in 15 mins? Really?

Did you try talking with him ?

You'd be surprised as to what comes out of a horse's mouth.

All the best.

P.S. See my horse Metal Head has spoken.

Go to a vet or somebody they might help or you can have someone come to your barn i did that with my horse and they gave him therapy and it really works!

You keep sacking him out? I hope that doesnt mean your jerking him off?

Soak an apple in vodka.

Down that big horse cock

Brand him. He doesn't know his master yet.