At what age is a child considered an adult in the state of Alabama?

My sister is turning 18 years old in January and planning to get married. However, our mother has objections. My sister will still be in high school so she is worried that because she is still in high school she wouldn't be considered an adult and would be under out mother's control. So does anyone have any information that could help?

People who do not have serious imput should waste their own time and not mine by providing stupid answers.

Favorite Answer

She can legally get married at the age of 18. The act of getting married emancipates her.

The following is a link to the Alabama Attorney General's website. http://www.ago.state.al.us/contact_faqs.cfm

What is the age of adulthood or majority in Alabama? Or in other words, how old does a person have to be to get credit or sign a contract without a co-signer?

19 years of age for unmarried persons. (Code of Alabama §26-1-1) or 18 years of age for married persons and widows or widowers (Code of Alabama §30-4-15 & 16).

• Erika

Nope you're actually not, only when you consider which you get carry of knocked up at sixteen does not mean you're an grownup. The age of majority in Alabama is nineteen. In maximum states the age of majority is eighteen, yet not in AL. you're nonetheless a minor, and the only thank you to be an grownup previously age 19 in AL is to get married, yet you decide on parental consent to get married. 40 8 out of fifty states , its 18, yet In Mississippi its 21 and Alabama its 19.

Tell your sister to cross the state line into Florida and get married there. And there will be nothing your mother can do about it as once she is married, she is automatically emancipated. The only thing is that marriage may affect her ability to finish high school...she might want to check that out first. Good luck and God bless!

You are an adult at 19 in alabama NOT 18. I was in fostercare and had to be emancipated at 18 to have rights. You also can NOT sign any legally binding papers at 18 in alabama either. If she wants to get married at 18 she either has to have ur mothers consent OR she needs to get emancipated from a judge and provide proof she will be able to take care of herself (have a job and stable place to live)

Source(s): been there done that

My daughter was 18 and got married with or without my approval and still finished school. So if that is what she chooses to do she can. She is legally able to sign the documents needed to get married without your mothers approval.

The age of majority in Alabama is 19.

She will not be considered an adult until she is 19 years old.

• Unfortunately, she's an adult at 18, and can make her own [mistakes].

Let's face it. You and I both know this marriage will fail.

Let's just really hope that she gets some sense knocked into her (not literally, I hope!!) before she ends up with this goon's baby.

Good luck.

I'm Pretty Sure that in "Bama, yur kincidered an adult just as soon as you marry yur CUZZIN, NO Matter what yur Age. "State Law".