If I'm American, should I speak Spanish to spanish speaking customers?

Well technically, I'm Welsh, but I grew up in America. I work part time in a department store and get a lot of Spanish speaking customers. I've taken Spanish in school and have forgotten some of it, but I remember enough to communicate. I don't know if I should speak to them in Spanish or if they'd find it offensive for some reason....

Best Answer

why not? I think most of your Spanish speaking costumers would appreciate it. Specially if they find some difficulties to express themselves in English.

Yes!! Of course not only that the customers will like it more. They will feel more comfortable..so what if you're Spanish is a little shaky you can always interpret it in English right away if they didnt understand a word or phase you say. Thats the whole point and beauty of learning a new language especially in school. I used to work at Subway and a lot of customers spoke Spanish but I didnt know any (even though I did pick up a few words here and there lol). Dont be like me! I took Chinese a couple of semester in hs and college I still cant speak fluently and I dont use it. It's a waste of time and money because I dont PRACTICE worst part is I am asian lol just like you I was born and raised here in the US. Besides, you're not gonna work in the department store for the rest of your life you're gonna move up from there and speaking more than one language is a plus! A lot jobs nowadays looking for ppl who can speak different languages.

Besides, lets say your manager is watching you on the side and lets say you mess up on an order (like you said something wrong to the customer) haha and your manager askes you what happen.. you can just lie your manager not gonna know. I've seen my coworkers done it. xD

Source(s): myself & experience
  • Lisa

First, I am white and I speak Spanish. Knowing a language or being from an ethnicity (Hispanic) doesn´t mean that a person should be of one color. Second, If you are pharmacy technician, you are there to help people as much as you can. So, if you can speak Spanish, even if it is broken Spanish, it would offer a lot of help to the patient. Third, if your coworker doesn´t like people who can´t speak English, then I hope she never has to go to a foreign country where she would not be able to communicate in English.

Well if they speak English, and they prefer to speak in English, then speak in English! Also if you have customers around that may feel uncomfortable with you speaking Spanish then don't do it. Then again speaking in Spanish with a smile to Spanish customers could get them to come back to the store you work at. I say give it a try someday and you might surprise them. Just make sure you don't get in trouble for it with your manager.

Well since we supposedly live in a capitalistic society and since capitalism is the greatest idea ever then the answer comes down to, "What is the better business decision?" If you think, or more importanly your boss thinks, that your speaking of spanish is going to boost sales then its a great idea. If it winds up costing you customers because they get upset and you trying to be helpful then I would recommend that you rethink it.

No, they'd probably love it if you spoke Spanish to them. But I'm one who believes if you live in our country you should learn to speak our language. English is our language. Not Spanish. Not Welsh, not Italian, not German..... If I lived in a foreign country, I would learn to speak the language of that country. Get my message? Help them to learn English by speaking English. Teach them words they don't know. You can change lives if you present it the right way. Encourage them to learn our language. Because as much as people would like us to become a dual language society (everything is printed in English and Spanish in instruction manuals, in stores), English is our native tongue and it behooves those who reside here to learn it.

If you're an American - you should speak our language. Period.

I would find it nice, we dont bother for bad accent

we just feel glad there is someone that speaks our language, because, as you may know in your own experience, to hear and to talk in another language that is not yours is always an additional effort.

Try to combine both languages, because to say more complex things you may need to speak english.

Dont be afraid to say "can you repeat it in english please?" if they answer you in spanish and you dont understand

Its always better to practice more than one language

Only IF you are comfortable speaking Spanish.

=

I'd start with English, but if they have a lot of trouble, you can use Spanish.

I've been to France and was insulted when someone answered me in English, especially when I asked in French.

English is the default language in America. If they know how to speak it, speak it.