2 RED RINGS after switching hard drives. xbox 360 elite.?

I have the xbox 360 pro with a 60 gb hard drive. I went to my friends house and he has the elite with a 120 gb hard drive. His live expired, mine didn't, so I brought my hard drive to his house so we could play online without me having to recover my gamer tag. We started playing online and after about 10... show more I have the xbox 360 pro with a 60 gb hard drive. I went to my friends house and he has the elite with a 120 gb hard drive. His live expired, mine didn't, so I brought my hard drive to his house so we could play online without me having to recover my gamer tag. We started playing online and after about 10 minutes the picture went out and 2 red rings appeared. we went on xbox.com and it said it was because it overheated. But we had just turned it on 10 minutes prior to that. He keeps his xbox on a stand that looks like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Studio+RTA+-...

so the tv is elevated away from the xbox and the xbox is on the top media shelf. His xbox was working fine yesterday but today when I brought my hard drive over, it got the red rings. He switched back to his hard drive. He turned it on and everything seemed okay but after 2 minutes, the picture went out and the 2 red rings reappeared. On several forums we found out that it might be dust. We went to Staples to buy the compressed air duster that people suggested, but we have to be 18 y.o. to buy it, so we couldn't buy it.

Later I went home and put my 60 gb hard drive in my xbox pro and everything was fine on my xbox (pro).

My friend is really worried. He can't afford to pay microsoft $99 to replace it. So what can he do?
Update: THIS JUST CAME TO ME::: would the problem have to do with licensing issues? Don't you have to transfer licenses if you want to use a new hard drive on a different xbox? I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this, but wouldn't it be that the xbox will not play games installed on a hard... show more THIS JUST CAME TO ME:::

would the problem have to do with licensing issues? Don't you have to transfer licenses if you want to use a new hard drive on a different xbox? I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this, but wouldn't it be that the xbox will not play games installed on a hard drive on a different xbox because you need to transfer licenses??? idk.