2 RED RINGS after switching hard drives. xbox 360 elite.?

I have the xbox 360 pro with a 60 gb hard drive. I went to my friends house and he has the elite with a 120 gb hard drive. His live expired, mine didn't, so I brought my hard drive to his house so we could play online without me having to recover my gamer tag. We started playing online and after about 10 minutes the picture went out and 2 red rings appeared. we went on xbox.com and it said it was because it overheated. But we had just turned it on 10 minutes prior to that. He keeps his xbox on a stand that looks like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Studio+RTA+-+TV+Stand+...

so the tv is elevated away from the xbox and the xbox is on the top media shelf. His xbox was working fine yesterday but today when I brought my hard drive over, it got the red rings. He switched back to his hard drive. He turned it on and everything seemed okay but after 2 minutes, the picture went out and the 2 red rings reappeared. On several forums we found out that it might be dust. We went to Staples to buy the compressed air duster that people suggested, but we have to be 18 y.o. to buy it, so we couldn't buy it.

Later I went home and put my 60 gb hard drive in my xbox pro and everything was fine on my xbox (pro).

My friend is really worried. He can't afford to pay microsoft $99 to replace it. So what can he do?

THIS JUST CAME TO ME:::

would the problem have to do with licensing issues? Don't you have to transfer licenses if you want to use a new hard drive on a different xbox? I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this, but wouldn't it be that the xbox will not play games installed on a hard drive on a different xbox because you need to transfer licenses??? idk.

• John
    Best Answer

I think that two rings indicates that the Xbox 360 is in working order, but it just has overheated. If I were you, I would leave it off for a little bit before turning it back on again. After doing so, I would put it in a location where it can safely and easily get rid of the heat it generates inside the system. I would also recommend you buy an external fan that is reliable. I put a fan on mine and it works fine (before I used the fan, it ALWAYS overheated). However, make sure you find a GOOD fan and not an unreliable fan because there are some fans that will actually stick to the Xbox 360 and melt onto it because of the heat the Xbox 360 gives off. But don't let that concern you; most fans they sell are trustworthy.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): I use a fan to stop my Xbox 360 from overheating.

I don't think it has anything to do with licenses, because if you have games on your hard drive and take hard drive to a friends house, to me its no different then taking a game disc. I would just replace the system..I got a weird thing I live in Wyoming non of my friends have gotten the red rings and their systems are the first generation 2005 systems. But friends in California all have gotten the red rings...does altitude have any thing to do with it I am over 5,000 feet above sea level and me or my friends here have had no problems, kinda interesting to me, I have a 2 year old 360 arcade model with a 60gig harddrive i bought