Star trek vs Star wars?

I am starting to get into star trek and i love it, but a star wars fan came to me saying how star trek is unrealistic, I am confused is there a negative thing going on between the two, star trek and star wars?

Favorite Answer

Star Trek is...fascinating, to say the least, however with reference to modern technology and society's current limitations in the understanding of physics and the space-time continuum, your friend is quite accurate in proclaiming Star Trek to be unrealistic. However your friend failed to acknowledge that Star Wars, in the same respect, is also unrealistic in this current day and time.

Both the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises are constituent of the Science Fiction genre, which, by nomenclature alone suggests the blending of the "real" (Science) with that of the "unreal" (Fiction). For three dimensional beings, such as ourselves, it is nearly impossible to comprehend the 4-Dimensional concept of Space-Time and therefore the faster-than-light travel featured in each Science Fiction epic is a primitive however noble attempt at the display of "future" technologies, and therefore is *unrealistic*.

In the Star Trek franchise, given the number of stars that are estimated to make up our Milky Way galaxy (upwards of 100 billion), the existence of so many near-human alien species is unrealistic as the sheer weight of numbers alone would suggest vast diversity in the type and appearance of life-forms that could be encountered. However, lacking evidence of life forms outside of those found on Earth it is impossible and indeed impractical from a viewing standpoint to represent an alien species that is unfamiliar and therefore difficult to relate to.

The Star Wars franchise does slightly better in the diversification of alien species, however it too has shortcomings in certain aspects. Star Wars focuses more heavily on military action and combat. One of the more iconic pieces of Star Wars memorabilia is that of the Lightsaber. The lightsaber is undoubtedly an unrealistic if not altogether impossible weapon, as the dispensation of pure destructive energy being able to take and hold form without any type of containment field is,by societal standards, purely the realm of fiction.

Apropos of the existence of negative feelings harbored by the fans of one franchise against those of the other is unsubstantiated. Humans and their feelings are entirely illogical and, without the strictures of logic governing thought, the possibility of feelings that the human mind may conjure towards both Star Wars and Star Trek are myriad and often incalculable. There do exist certain humans that enjoy both franchises equally, and I number myself among these individuals. There also exist those humans who feel animosity towards the opposing franchise, however these feelings are often based off which series they were first exposed to, or simply which one they prefer.

However given the similarities that inherently exist between both Star Wars and Star Trek, to harbor negative sentiments against one franchise and not the other is illogical.

Live Long and Prosper \\//

Source(s): The inviolable tenets of Logic

lol, a star wars fan says that star trek is unrealistic? Anyway there is battle of sorts between the two. I don't know if you ski or snowboard, but the dynamic is similar. Personally I love both, but Star Trek really is much better. The technology, characters, and stories believable. It depicts a future society that has substantially evolved (socially) from today. Star Wars is fun, but its mystical and the technologies have no basis in reality. Star Wars is more like "This would be cool" whereas Star Trek is more along the lines of "How would this work". I could go on, but I'll spare you

There is often a huge conflict between fans of the two. Oh and by the way the reason the light saber is able to stay in it's saber shape is because the Jedi that holds it uses the force to maintain it subconsciously. They are both fiction so your friend is correct but only half way. Star Wars is just better all the way around though. You should do some research on other sites and watch the Star Wars movies and some of the TV shows too. Maybe it will help you understand why Star Wars is better. But you are entitled to your own opinion, this was just mine plus a fact or two. Hope this helped a little bit.

Source(s): I've been a hardcore Star Wars fan since birth:)
    • Caleb Hawn6 years agoReport

This does not help answer the question. Everybody knows that there is conflict between the two. Also, that light saber fact is false. The reason that the saber maintains its shape is because of the light saber matrix of the components inside of it. How is this done? Ask the droid architect, Huyang.

I like both, actually.

There's long been some unspoken (and more recently, spoken) tension between "Trek" and "Wars" aficionados but I think that it's really a matter of preference (and I won't try to choose between the two here; it's not really my job to say which one was better). Both had their pluses and minuses. And even though I really loved the "Star Wars" movies, including the Prequel Trilogy, I do have one thought for anyone who says that "Star Trek" is unrealistic [but "Star Wars" is not]: "Midiclorians = JEDI HERPES? And Anakin/Vader was CONCEIVED by these things?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midichlorians#Midi-ch...

SW leans more in the science fantasy direction, ST more towards science fiction even if both are TECHNICALLY science fantasy. But really, I think that the STORY is where the true merit lies (be it "Star Wars" versus "Star Trek" or any other set of movies). If you want to rate it based on the ratio of "good" movies to "bad" movies, I'd probably say "Star Wars" is the better of the two. But then, "Star Trek" had some pretty darn good installments, too, and I loved "Deep Space Nine" (especially the later seasons), "Enterprise" (on this point as well as the DS9 issue, I may be one of the handful of Americans who actually feel this way), and some of the character development in "Voyager" (I especially liked the way that The Doctor grew over the course of the series). Some of the Original Series episodes are VERY worthy of repeat viewings. And I loved the new "Trek" reboot from J.J. Abrams, even if I can't quite consider it 100% canon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor_%28Star_Tr...

I'm probably more partial to "Babylon 5" (except for the final season, which rather sucked as a result of TNT picking up the rights to the series and rewriting the fifth season) than either "Wars" or "Trek" if I'm REALLY honest with myself. And if it came down to a fight between any of the three, "Star Trek" ships seem to have superior maneuverability and firepower than "Star Wars" ships (unless the SW ships happen to be pointed directly at you, that is, and not including fighters), but a single Minbari war cruiser could probably rip apart an opposing fleet from EITHER franchise (that's INCLUDING fighters).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minbari_Cruiser

• Nate D

This has been a popular discussion between "Trekies" and "Warsies" It's funny how he claimed Star Trek is unrealistic. Star Trek is the more realistic of the two focusing mostly on science anyway. Star Wars just happens to be more military/politics.

To people who are not fans of either, they're "the same show". Often mistaken for each other. That makes fans of either series angry I think. Either way, I like both just about the same. Maybe Star Trek a little more.

• Caleb Hawn6 years agoReport

Very untrue! They are made by two totally different movie studio companies. Star Wars was made by Lucus Arts, but was purchased by Walt Disney Pictures in 2013. Star Trac, I don't know.

I don't know, but star wars and star trek are exactly the same amount of unrealistic.

I have always like star trek better.

not really, usually if there's a fan of one, they're fans of both. :)

He or she might have been referring to the "universal peace"/optimistic outlook of Star Trek versus the political Empire and Republic outlook of Star Wars?

Or they might be referring to all the "golly-gee-whiz" technology of Star Trek? Teleportation, etc..

Hope this helps :)

• Caleb Hawn6 years agoReport

Opps! I just read the second line of your answer. THAT may be true. That's only because the old Star Trac show was made long ago when they did not have the cool modern movie effects that we have today.

• tigger

I like both. For different reasons.

Trek was more like future reality, plausible.

Wars was a fantasy to loose yourself in.

Plausibility examples would be:- James T Kirks communicator in 1966 was like the flip cell phone.

The hypo spray exists today.

The data pads in next gen and voyager are...... yeah the ipad.

Sc fi dreams stuff up and entrepreneurs go with it and make it a reality.

STAR WARS