why is it embarrassing to pay with coins?

My son needed about 16.50 for pizza. I gave him a 5 and 6 ones, then $2 worth of coins. When I gave him the coins he said "I can't give them a bunch of coins. It's embarrassing!" What gives?

Favorite Answer

I've never considered it to be embarrassing. Maybe ask your son why? I use coins whenever I can instead of going into a bill. Coins are money, their purpose is to be spent, so there's no need to be embarassed about it. So who knows why he's embarssed, best to just ask him. Tell him lot's of people try to use coins instead of using bills.

We can pay in coins up to an amount as specified by the state/country concerned. Because of the inconvenience we avoid transacting in coins when the amount involved is large, especially in a pizza outlet when the counting of the coins will certainly hold up the queue. It is natural and very considerate of your son to feel embarrassing.

• annely

I think it has to do with the fumbling and the extra counting that you have to do when dealing with small change. It only delays you for a few seconds, but for some reason, that's enough to fluster some people. It's even worse when you drop a penny or a whole bunch of dimes and it just gathers all that unnecessary attention to the person who's "holding up the line".

It could be an annoyance to the clerk who's serving him when they have to spend a lot of time counting change, especially if it's not all quarters. Add on the possibility that there could be others in line and it's even more people you're holding up.

Maybe he thinks that paying with coins makes it look like he was scrounging for enough money to afford the pizza? Or the coins make him seem disorganized?

ETA: Why the thumbs down? I was just trying to look from the son's point of view to see why he would feel the way that he did.

I don't really like paying with crack change either.

It makes me feel like the person I'd be giving it to would think I don't have enough money to pay with bills so I had to scrounge around for change.

it takes too long and makes the people behind you angry.

FYI, paying in all pennies is a great legal way to stage a protest without permits. It's been done.

Don't know. My son is the same way. If he DOES use change it has to be all quarters.

i bought a coffee at dunn bros the other day in like 50 pennies and a bunch of dimes. it does not bother me. money is money

it just iz