Isn't male rape far worse than female rape?

If a heterosexual male is raped by other male prisoners in jail, it is a completely unnatural and perverted experience as well as being against his will.

A woman who is raped by a man is still experiencing a relatively natural experience since she voluntarily has sex with her husband/boyfriend. The issue in this case is the lack of consent.

Yet why is male rape joked about and just accepted as a fact of prison life, whereas female rape is a "life-destroying" experience?

Update:

"Unnatural and perverted" in his (heterosexual) eyes, compared to male/female sex.

Update 2:

In both cases, force is obviously used so I'm not making a distinction there.

Update 3:

True Brit, thats my point.

Society treats female rape far worse than male rape. Male rape is regular comedy-routine fodder. How often do you hear a comedian joke about female rape?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Strange how few women can get your point. Let's say that rape by a man of a woman or man is equally bad, well at least you would think the women here would see that the hype about rape of women is 1000 times greater than the rape of men.

Furthermore, if a man is rape he may suffer serious damage e.g. prolapsed rectum. This doesn't happen in vaginal rape.

Also the victim of rape in prison will probably see his rapist(s) every day for the next X number of years, and may be raped by them repeatedly.

Finally, according to the Dept of Justice, the number of rapes in the US in 2006 was 113,290 http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cvus/current/...

Roughly 40% of reported rape victims are men http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cvus/current/... therefore about 70 000 are women.

According to Human Rights Watch, at least 140,000 inmates are raped in the US each year http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_rape

If we presume that most prison inmates are men, then it looks pretty likely that most victims of rape are men. So how come we only ever hear about the rape of women, and how terrible it is? Ladies - it's terrible for anyone, and might be worse for men.

• 9 years ago

I don't know, I've never been raped as a man or a woman. Male rape does have the stigma of being seen as "funny" to some people, so there is that, but as far as it being worse than female rape, I just can't see it. But I have no idea and I'm not going to be stupid enough to say it either way.

• 3 years ago

I was raped by a male who was most likely a serial rapist. When I told a therapist he doesn't believe that males get raped. He admitted it.

This is why so many men who have been raped don't come forward.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Yes, male on male rape is worse than any male on female rape, unless it involves sodomizing the target female. It involves part of the body that one normally does not associate with any type of sexual activity. There is also a higher risk of violence and injury with male rape.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

The government condones and implicitly supports prison rape by deliberately turning a blind eye to this endemic problem, which has been an open secret for decades.

Rape seems to have become an unofficial part of the state's punishment of criminals.

This would be less concerning if only hardened criminals were affected. But the U.S. has the dubious distinction of having the highest per capita prisoner population in the world, many of whom are petty offenders and/or nonviolent drug offenders.

I don't think it is reasonable or civilized to overlook the fact that these men are being raped regularly in prison.

• Bee
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

So, you're taking the stand that homosexuality is completely unnatural and perverted? Or is it just that the person being raped in your first example is presumably being forced into a sexual situation with a person of a different gender than the one he finds appealing?

I've seen so many effed up situations, you don't even want to know. Victims being strangled by their rapists. Victims being sexually assaulted with objects. Victims being injected with lord knows what. Let me be clear about this: Rape is bad. Period. Perhaps some people are better able to deal with what happened. Perhaps some people have a better, more understanding support network. But it is unbelievable to me that someone would presume that one gender is better able to handle a personal assault because in one case the bodily assault is "natural" and in another it's not.

In both cases, the harm is in lack of bodily autonomy, violation, not being listened to, far-reaching psychological (and sometimes physical) effects, and sometimes physical pain and trauma. Some rapes are more violent than others, or more violative, but that has nothing to do with gender.

You're right that prison rape isn't a joke, but that's about the only thing you're right about.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think you do not understand that sex with a female who is not sexually aroused is every bit as "unnatural and perverted" as a homosexual sex is to a heterosexual male.

Seizing and sexually violating the body of another person against his or her will is a terrible thing, no matter what the victim's gender or sexual orientation.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Male on female rape is hardly a "natural" experience--it's usually extremely upsetting and often violent. I think it's equally traumatic for a man to be sexually violated. I've never laughed about male rape, it's not funny. I think convicts are a group of society that people have little sympathy for/have ill feelings toward, so when a man is raped in prison it's amusing to them.

• 4 years ago

Do women get off on guys getting raped in prison?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

we cannot equate women raped by men with men raped by women.

society has brainwashed men to not take it seriously. men will never feel the same pain, the same trauma on being raped by a woman because they are told that they must always like sex, that sex is always good. men are encouraged to be sexist even when they are victims of women and think that they were aroused and a woman cannot harm them

so we have no choice but to equate it with man on man rape. only that can educate men on the seriousness of rape.

• 9 years ago

forced sex is a horrible experience whatever your gender. To suggest that forced sex is less disrtressing for women because a woman may have voluntary sex with someone else is absurd.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.