Anonymous

Is oriental the same as asian? And why is oriental offensive?

I heard that oriental is offensive I can't for the life of me understand why. I can understand why midgets find that term offensive because if somene short is bothering you you might call them a midget to offend them so it's become a bad word, but oriental- I don't get it.

Also, Asian means all asians- Like Chinese And Indians. But oriental only means the asians from china, japan and korean descent and doesn't include indians- right?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Some find it offensive some do not.

"since that ignores the varied and often disparate cultures and histories of that area, thus emphasizing the sameness or indistinguishability of those cultures and peoples (and in reverse, imputing on the user a lack of awareness and concern for the cultural difference within Asia"--- Leila

The same which could be said of the term "European"

In a sense the term European is the same as Oriental.. An Irishman is not an Englishman who is not a Frenchman and on and on... Just ask an Irishman if he is the "same" as a German. People seem too often ready to condemn what they blindly say or do themselves with impunity.

"other races, whites especially, tend to see Asians as objects" ---lafemi

Really, those evil white people....Sounds Bigoted to me or perhaps you have asked all white people do they think "asians" are objects. You know some "white" people find the word Caucasian more appropriate and less offensive than "white: though others do not.

"the term "oriental" refers to an object, such as a rug, or a lamp, but not a person. when you use "oriental" to describe a person it is saying that you're describing them like an object." ---lafemi

Leaping to conclusions again I see.

"a lot of dumb people don't know this" ---lafemi

You mean those dumb people who don't think, talk or look like you?

"yet stupid people" ---lafemi

Boy are you judgmental.

"generalizing everybody" ---lafemi

You mean like you generalize white people? I'm of black/African/whatever descent do you generalize (stereotype) me too? Martin Luther King would be so proud.

Words change meaning over time, something can at one time NOT be generally considered offensive yet over time be deemed offensive. Is Chinaman more or less offensive than Englishman? Does it depend on who is using the term and in what context? People can spend thier whole lives looking to be offended. If I call someone a "Cracker" am I being offensive? Suppose he is a stranger or my best friend?

End of lecture, pop quiz Friday.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO, for the bazillionth time in the last hour, NO. Oriental is something that comes from the Far East. Not all of Asia is in the Far East, so it is impossible for Oriental to = Asia. PERIOD.

Oriental is typically used for objects, not people, so that is why people get offended.

And according to the wiktionary, "One complaint has been its frequent use by some to denigrate Asian people and people of Asian descent, which many feel has given the word itself a bad connotation. Others object to the term being used as a blanket term for people of Asian or East Asian descent, since that ignores the varied and often disparate cultures and histories of that area, thus emphasizing the sameness or indistinguishability of those cultures and peoples (and in reverse, imputing on the user a lack of awareness and concern for the cultural difference within Asia). A third reason given is that the term is so vague that it is never clear which countries are included within the term. Most users, however, do not employ the term with any malicious intent whatsoever, and view it as a convenient and innocent generic term in the absence of more precise information, equivalent to the frequent use of the term westerner in Asia"

Get it now?

• 4 years ago

Oriental Objects

• 6 years ago

The term Oriental, in relation to people, is completely inoffensive. It's the same as calling people Occidentals. It is a geographical and ethnological terms. The PC preferred use, Asian, is woefully unspecific, because Asia is an enormous continent. Oriental is simply a desciption of the East of the continent. The PC objection to the term, when properly used, is simply an example of PC's Newspeak tendencies, which we all should be in fear of if we've read Brave New World and 1984.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Oriental refers to objects from the far east of Asia. Asian people are not objects. Nor is Yellow a substitute. If you do not know a person ethnic background, don't jump to conclusions. Don't just walk up to an Asian and call them Indian, they could be Pakistanian. Asian is a race and Asians are born everywhere outside of Asia. Doesn't change there race. Afrakan are born outside of Afraka everyday doesn't change race or ethnic,just nationalities. Afrakans are not the black people, Afrakans are more brown then anything. When you put people into a physical category of one thing its always wrong. Usually all you have to do is find the origin of the word to find out if its wrong. Asians or Native Americans never called themselves the Redskins!

• 1 decade ago

other races, whites especially, tend to see asians as objects. the term "oriental" refers to an object, such as a rug, or a lamp, but not a person. when you use "oriental" to describe a person it is saying that you're describing them like an object. a lot of dumb people don't know this but i'm so proud that one of you is asking about it. it can also be misleading because the orient is like northern asia, like china and japan, but not southern pacific asian countries like vietnam or the philippines, yet stupid people would probably call vietnamese or filipinos oriental because they can't tell the difference. if you're confused maybe you should just learn what country they are from instead of generalizing everybody like you would a rug.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

i don't understand the term being seen racist. this is only Latin meaning jap of East. in spite of the shown fact that, i know that some human beings evaluate it too large, and too Eurocentric to be utilized rationally. even with each and every thing, there are somewhat countless distinctive races and cultures to the East of Rome. interior the unique use, Arabs and Turks could additionally be blanketed interior the term Oriental. So, this is not that arduous to understand why somebody from, say, Japan, could take offense to being lumped in, racially and culturally, with maximum of very distinctive races and cultures. in case you propose East Asian, say so, for goodness sake!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

hmm.. well i'm half asian at first i didn't see why it's offensive but i can see it now basically oriental is a word white people created it now means east asian fabrics and objects but it's not used for people and yeah it doesn't inclued south asians oriental goods are from thailand, singapore, japan, nepal, korea, taiwan, etc

• 6 years ago

The correct ethnic term is Mongoloid. Now doesn't that sound more racist? Why is "white" not racist? I am Northern-European American!!

• 1 decade ago

People can be offended by anything. That's liberalism in a nutshell. They're all idiots; who cares?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.