? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Can you help me find this book?

I know no author or title. But i do remember the book being about 4th grade between 6th grade reading.

It was a story of a girl who followed her family and the rest of the human race to a new planet. Everyone was allowed to bring one personal item. This little girl brought a journal. In the journal she wrote the history of the new city she was in without telling anyone else. It included encountering sugar-like trees, giant insects, and troubles in the city. It was full of fantastical landscapes, weird colors, and many strange oddities which i found should not have been in a child book.

At the end of the book i believe it was her brother who found her journal. And the city asked her to read it to them. and that is how it ended.

I thought it was titled, The Green Book, or something green... but i have yet to find anything. I remember it being a slim book. Not very big. Near pocket size... Probably less than 150 pages.

Favorite Answer

This is "The Green Book" by Jill Paton Walsh

"Kirkus Reviews Father said, 'We can take very little with us.'" So begins this tale of space-age pioneers, who then travel for four years to a distant planet where they will try to establish a colony. Others, in more sophisticated ships, are headed still further. (Walsh doesn't say why the earth is being abandoned, but the problem seems to be slow atmospheric change, not nuclear destruction.) Each passenger is allowed one book, and Father chooses a fat Dictionary of Technology. A plain mechanic on earth, he plans to be "the contriver," and thus an important person, at Shine, the new home. Daughter Sarah reprimands Father, reminding him that everyone here counts equally--a conversation that might seem to foreshadow a larger conflict, but doesn't. Father's skills and his book do prove useful, however, as the people build dwellings of split "trees" which aren't at all like wood. All the vegetation in fact turns out to be shiny and clear like glass, and the glassy grass kills the rabbits brought from earth. When vegetables from earth seeds fail, and then the wheat also grows hard and faceted, the colonists despair: once their imported rations are gone, there will be "only a box of pills that would be kinder than hunger." But then Sarah undertakes to grind and cook the glassy wheat; and when she and brother Joe and little sister Patti eat it and survive, the colony is saved. It will also have a history, for Patti's one book has been a blank one, and when Father opens it at the end he begins to read: "Father said, 'We can take very little with us.'" With descriptions of life on Shine, and with a fluttery passage wherein friendly giant moths hatch out and dance with the children before flying off, the book (Patti's and Walsh's) is written in the stately, solemn manner of an important chronicle. If you can accept this as such, it is expertly done; but readers seeking imaginative speculation, philosophic ideas, or glimpses of the future will be disappointed.

(Kirkus Reviews, July 1, 1982)"

"In this book, three children and their widowed father accompany others on a spaceship, leaving the planet Earth and populating a new planet. The group encounters many difficulties, including problems with the wheat crop. The children discover that the wheat can be used, and the people are saved. Pattie, who was young when the travelers left their homeland, brought a blank journal as her personal item. In the end, it is discovered that Pattie has recorded their trials and triumphs on the new planet. I enjoyed how this book reinforced the importance of oral and written tradition, while addressing both our society's easy access to literature and lack of appreciation for written and oral stories. The books are treated as insignificant in the beginning, but then become the common bond for the community. After everyone listens to Father read, the socioeconomic gaps are shattered, and enjoyment during a trying time in the colony's history is found by all. Father also uses his careful selection to become a respected member of the colony, although he is considered to be less educated. The last-resort pills are supposed to be used when the mission fails, to offer an alternate to dying of hunger. I was bothered by Father's willingness to offer this as the solution when it was determined that his three children would die from ingesting the homemade pancakes. Another issue that was addressed was that of socialism. Although this was experimented with in early American history, it failed miserably. This book presents many issues, which may need to be addressed if used in literature circles. This book can also be used with young adults to address the following issues: socialism, assisted suicide, social classes, professional inequity, discrimination, space travel, environmental concerns, and the role of children in society."

"In the scene where Sarah and Joe find out that Patti only brought a blank book and picked on her for it, I could relate to Patti. I would rather be able to broaden my mind by making up my own stories, and then being able to look back on it and remember stuff.

It reminds me of in The Diary of Anne Frank, where her father says to her after he gives her the diary, "There are no locks, no bolts that anyone can put on your mind." These two books together inspired me, because if there was ever a time when I had to leave my home, I would want to have something to write in, to be able to express my emotions."

"The descriptions of the planet Shine are perfectly drawn, enough for us to picture it but not overkill. The discovery of the rock people is excellent, reminding the reader of all the strange and wonderful beings that could be out there. And the twist - the gimmick of "the green book" - is perfectly executed, much the way Roald Dahl ends his beloved book The BFG."

Could it be The Green Book by Jill Paton Walsh?

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Book-Sunburst/dp/03744...

It is The Green Book...Your right. We had to read this at school for a contest. By Jill Paton Walsh.

Source(s): Me