Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

If the universe is infinite, has everything possible already occurred?

That is, if it's existed for an infinitely long period of time, has an infinite amount of stuff in it, or both.

Update:

If it's existed for a finite amount of time and contains a finite amount of staff, what's infinite about it?

Update 2:

"If it is limited, then what's behind the edge of it? Nothing, eh?? lol..."

Who said anything about edges? For all I know it could be a Möbius strip.

Update 3:

So something can be possible while having a probability of 0?

Update 4:

Or something can have some probability without ever happening, even after infinity?

Update 5:

Actually I'm arguing that the universe ISN'T infinite, and that if it is everyone who's right that it is was ran over by a herd of albino zebras somewhere, sometime.

Update 6:

If 'there is no such thing as "after infinity",' and the universe has existed for an infinite amount of time, how can there be any things?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

- Not only that, but if the universe is infinite, everything possible has already occurred an infinite numbers of times!

And you have and infinite number of identical twins living identical lives on an identical world right now.

Your side note: Everything with a probablity of happening will happen in an infinite world, by definition. Nothing with 0 probability will ever happen, ever. And there is no such thing as "after infinity".

Your added note regarding my response - "huh?"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'll give you the physicist answer and the philosopher answer. Physicists believe the universe was created out of nothing but a random quantum fluctuation and that a point of almost infinite density exploded in a big bang. Since then the universe has been slowly (in human timeframe) cooling and expanding, leading to the coalescing of clouds of particles into matter as we know it. It is hypothesized that multiple universes may be created in this manner, but in this universe matter and other contents are not infinite, although there are still huge questions like dark matter and dark energy, Many philosophers believe that ultimate reality is infinite, and that humans are very tiny points of duration in an eternity. Where I believe your question goes is that both physicists and philosophers agree that matter and energy are never created or destroyed, they change forms. So the configuration and reconfigurations of matter and energy can mathematically approach infinity, and that all such combinations and permutations have not already occurred.That's why you're unique!

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

If the universe is infinite, has everything possible already occurred?

That is, if it's existed for an infinitely long period of time, has an infinite amount of stuff in it, or both.

Source(s): universe infinite occurred: https://tr.im/CD3vm
  • 1 decade ago

when it comes to things like this the first thing i do is laugh, then i say "who knows?" but i really love thinking deeply about stuff like this! first off how can u say for certain that the universe is infinite? but ok lets say hypothetically the universe is infinite, then i guess you could argue that everything has happened, or at least that everything has the potential to happen, but maybe the universe is infinite but not everything happens in it, there's probably a lot of empty space..

im not convinced that the universe is infinite but the number of possibilities in it are!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There isn't an infinite amount of energy or matter in the universe so basically no.

There is so much energy and matter in the universe though that there must be many billions of worlds with life that has taken countless forms.

So if you can imagine it happening then it probably has somewhere, somewhen. "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away", cue the music.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There is a theory, that for every possible event there are infinite number of possible outcomes, all of which do happen, but in different quantum realities... Oh wait, I'm quoting Data from Star Trek Next Gen :)

Though hypothetically, "if universe/reality is infinite", as in, endless cycle of rebirth&collapse, then anything is possible, including all events which can happen, do, in their own iteration of reality. If... Regards, Pat.

• That is a rather Spinozan concept. I am referring to Benedict Spinoza the philosopher and author. He might say, as the Bible coincidentally says, "There is nothing new under the sun." Maybe we all have been there done that and that's why there is Deja Vu? We just don't ordinarily remember already having been everyone else including ourselves.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Universe is infinite yet bounded and is of finite mass and volume. It has a time of origin and a limited quantity of mass and space. So no - you have this life only and no reserve options.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Is Everything Possible

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It all happened a very long time ago. We are just remembering the parts that we found interesting.

Love and blessings Don

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.