DX-fan-4-life asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

Is it true that if you are a female and you have a cat it will affect you and you wont have babies in future?

if ur young and u have a cat ull not have babies in the future? and why is that??

Favorite Answer

I'm going to counter most of the answers here and give you the facts.

There is a risk of being exposed to toxoplasmosis if you come into contact with cat feces while pregnant. This is an infection that can cause birth defects so they recommend that pregnant women avoid contact with cat feces. But if you have been exposed to cat feces throughout your life then there is a chance that you have developed an immunity to the infection.

Being around cats does not make you sterile.

• ?

That is absolutely 100% true!

Really though, whoever told you that is trying to put you off having a cat. Don't believe everything you hear or read for that matter. If it were true over half the population of the women in the world would be infertile.

• Whoever told you that is either on serious drugs or extremely stupid. My Grandmother bred cats from the time before my Mum or any of my Aunts were born and they all have about four kids each. If you want a cat... get one. It won't reflect anything that happens in your future. Except maybe the buying of new curtains -- Oops.

Absolutely not true. I cannot imagine where this idea comes from. Cats can carry certain diseases that can affect a pregnant woman, but if you have your cat checked at the vet and given proper shots and health check ups there is no problem at all.

Source(s): Physician and cat owner - mother of two children
  • ?

Nonsense. I've had at least 2 cats at any one time since the age of 6 and I have 3 children. My mother-in-law always had cats and she had 6 children.

No, but what WILL harm you is if you are pregnant and you change litter boxes or come into contact with cat poop. It has a bacteria in it that isn't healthy for unborn babies. But cats have NO effect on whether you will have babies or not.

Big fat hairy lie. Don't listen to stupid people with less than quality educations. I have had cats my entire life and have 4 happy healthy children.

I don't know how young my mom was when she got her first cat, but if that was true, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't exist.

Haha, what?! Come on, do you seriously believe that?!

If you do, then I feel sorry for you... you must have the IQ of a block of wood.

• joanne

Why is what?? Of course that's not true! Someone is playing with you!