Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

creepo asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 1 decade ago

Is it common to travel by train in the US?

I don't have a driver's licence and I'm going to NYC for a few weeks. I'd like to do a short trip to Washington DC, but I don't know how to get there. My google skills are poor. Could you give me a link to some us railway website? Thank you.

Favorite Answer

The only nationwide passenger service is handled by Amtrak. Depending where you live, taking the train may not be the best choice, e.g., living in California and traveling to New York. In that case, it would be faster to fly into Newark Liberty, LaGuardia, or JFK. All three airports also handle international flights.

Once "in the city," as we say here, getting around is relatively easy, given the sheer amount of transportation options available. New York has a dense array of bus and subway routes, and there are rail lines radiating out from there in all directions. Oh, and there are the taxis.

There are two main train terminals in Manhattan: Grand Central Terminal (GCT), at 42nd Street and 5th Avenue, and Penn Station (NYP), which is a few blocks further south (they're connected by a shuttle train). GCT is solely commuter trains now; Penn Station handles both commuter trains and Amtrak. NYP is located in Midtown.

To answer your question, you'd take an Amtrak train from NYP, such as the Northeast Regional or Acela Express, to get to the nation's capital, via the Northeast Corridor. The Acela costs more than the Northeast Regional, because it's marketed as a premium service, catering chiefly to business travelers.

If you're interested in other side trips during your time in the city, you can also take NJ Transit to places in New Jersey, directly from NYP for ten of their eleven lines. I've also included the link to their website.

• ?

Train travel is really only common in the northeast, between Boston, NYC, Philly, and Washington, and it's on Amtrak. It'll take roughly between 3 and 4 hours each way.

www.amtrak.com

Source(s): personal experience