Rank Roo asked in Games & RecreationCard Games · 1 decade ago

regeneration question, magic the gathering?

Simple enough scenario-

My opponenet attacks with a 5/5 and i block with a Drudge Skeletons, then pay the 1 swamp to regenerate. After combat, opponent taps Prodigal Pyromancer to deal 1 damage to the skeletons. I pay 1 swamp to regenrate again. Will the skeletons survive? If he had tapped the Pyromancer to do 1 damage in response to my first regenerate instead of waiting til after combat, would the 5/5 do any damage to me (the player)?

Thanks in advance.

• Icon
    Favorite Answer

Hmm ... good questions actually.

The way I know the regeneration rules the following would happen:

Scenario 1) My opponenet attacks with a 5/5 and i block with a Drudge Skeletons, then pay the 1 swamp to regenerate. After combat, opponent taps Prodigal Pyromancer to deal 1 damage to the skeletons. I pay 1 swamp to regenrate again. Will the skeletons survive?

Yes. Once your Drudge Skeleton blocks and takes damage when you pay the regenerate cost it is removed form combat tapped, but the 5/5 is considered block (unless it has Rampage in which case 4 damage will still hit the player). After combat when you Prodigal Pyromancer uses its ability you can pay an additional mana to regenerate the Skeletons from the ability.

Scenario 2) If he had tapped the Pyromancer to do 1 damage in response to my first regenerate instead of waiting til after combat, would the 5/5 do any damage to me (the player)?

This is where it gets a little dicey for me. “Regenerate [permanent]” means “The next time [permanent] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it and tap it. If it’s an attacking or blocking creature, remove it from combat." ...

If he uses the ability in response the damage would resolve after your regenerate would take effect, so the Skeleton would be dead when regen would be used. However the 5/5 create woul still be blocked. You can of course spend a second mana to put another regen shield on in response to the ability of the Pyromancer. It would play out: 1) Attack 2) block 3) regen 4) pyromancer 5) regen ... this would get you the same results as Scenario 1 and if you have enough mana to do two regens a turn then I assume you can do it in Scenario 2.

Yes it would survive. Each time you pay the Regeneration cost, it puts a shield on the creature (assuming a shield does not already exist) that prevents one destruction that turn.

If he had used the Pyromancer after blockers were declared but before combat damage, your Skeleton would have been removed from combat by the Regeneration and taken no combat damage, but unless the attacker had Trample, it wouldn't do damage to you either, as it was blocked, and a blocked creature remains blocked for the rest of the combat regardless of anything else.

If he had used the Pyromancer before the Declare Blockers step, your Skeleton would have been tapped by the Regeneration and therefore not able to block.

Your skeletons will survive. Regen works as long as you have the mana to pay it (as long as you pay it again when you need it that second time).

About the tapping during combat, if he used the 1 damage on that creature after you blocked, then no, none of the damage would hit you, and you would still regen.

To explain this, as long as you block a creature, it has the status of "blocked" and deals damage to either the creature blocking it or, if that creature has left combat, nothing.

Please let me know if this helps.