Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 10 years ago

Is ritalin the same thing as methamphetamine?

Hello,

I was perscribed 20mgs Metadate yesterday for ADHD. I took the pill today (* been about 4-5 years since I've taken any form of ritalin *) and cleaned for about 3-4 hours.. I had to be moving while on it. I was extremely focused.. My crash was rough, it lasted about 2-3 hours, but was followed by depression and fatigue. The medical compound of Metadate is: methylphenidate - this is a derivative of methamphetamine - prehaps??? I want to know what I am taking, is it a form of methamphetamine? If so, what makes it different other than it not being as strong?

Thanks.

P.S: Non-ADHD people need not answer this question!

Favorite Answer

A large reason methylphenidate was developed was to come up with a drug that would help treat ADHD (ADHD has been around a long time under many different names) but that would have fewer side effects than amphetamines.

Methylphenidate has similar pharmacologic actions as amphetamines and both are apart of a large group of drugs called substituted phenethylamines. Methylphenidate was derived from amphetamine however it is distinctly different and NOT classified as an amphetamine or a substituted amphetamine, it is a piperidine. Actually the chemical structure of methylphenidate is more similar to cocaine than it is to amphetamine. Cocaine, methylphenidate, and amphetamines all act on the dopamine system however cocaine and methylphenidate have significantly different actions compared to amphetamine but all three drugs increase dopamine. So basically methylphenidate and amphetamine do similar things but they do it differently.

You should probably talk to your doctor about your "crash." You may need to make a different form of methylphenidate (Concerta is the best long acting form). Or you may do well by taking a dose of instant release methylphenidate like Ritalin when the Metadate starts to wear off. Also, once you start to crash, often having a soda like Mountain Dew or anything is a modestly high level of caffeine (ie less than an energy drink but more than most sodas) is very helpful.

Also most likely after a few days or weeks the crash won't be as bad (it may very well go away) and the effect the drug has on you won't be as extreme but it should still allow you to focus. Aside from things simply getting better on their own other forms of methylphenidate or even Focalin or Focalin XR (dexmethylphenidate) are good options.

Unfortunately depression and fatigue are common effects when people come down off of stimulants. Amphetamines tend to have a worse crash but it is always possible that you would do better on an amphetamine like Adderall or Dexedrine.

Give it some time, if it really bothers you call your doctor, and if needed explore other options.

Source(s): M.D., C.M. psychiatry, internal medicine (Québec) Hons. BSc in pharmacology

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Hello,

I was perscribed 20mgs Metadate yesterday for ADHD. I took the pill today (* been about 4-5 years since I've taken any form of ritalin *) and cleaned for about 3-4 hours.. I had to be moving while on it. I was extremely focused.. My crash was rough, it lasted about 2-3 hours, but was...

Source(s): ritalin methamphetamine: https://tr.im/gw8Qx
  • herko

Is Ritalin An Amphetamine

• Soup

No, it's a completely different compound. Methamphetamine is a penethylamine and methylphenidate is a piperidine.

There are structural similarities between the two, and their effects are similar, but methylphenidates actual mechanism of action is more like that of cocaine than of amphetamine drugs.

Ritalin is a mild central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control.

Long term use: Temporary growth suppression has been reported as a side effect of long-term use of stimulants such as Ritalin in children. This slowing down of growth is usually small (less than an inch and less than two pounds), and children usually catch up to normal growth rates with time.

vs.

Methamphetamine is a central nervous system stimulant drug that is similar in structure to amphetamine. Due to its high potential for abuse, methamphetamine is classified as a Schedule II drug and is available only through a prescription that cannot be refilled

Long term use: Long-term effects may include severe mental disorders, memory loss and severe dental problems.

The real difference is that mehamphetamine has an added methyl group to it's molecule. It's much more potent.

I take the generic form of this drug for narcolepsy. Short version is yes basically it's the same thing. Its a different chemical compound but bottom line its an amphetamine. It shows up on a drug test just like the illegal stuff does. Like all drugs in this class it can become addictive. Saying all the various ADHD drugs are nothing like crystal meth is like saying Oxycontin and heroin are not the same thing. Just because the FDA allows drug companies to make and sell it doesn't make it magically become something else.

• mariam

Chemical Structure Of Ritalin

Non-drug therapies are the best. I have experience, no side effects besides fatigue, because it takes work.